Genetic variability in three native Iranian chicken populations of the Khorasan province based on microsatellite markers
- 77 Downloads
This paper represents the results of a study on the genetic diversity in three native chicken populations (Barred, Brown and Black) of Khorasan, a province in northeastern Iran, by using four microsatellite markers (MCW0005, MCW0016, MCW0018 and MCW0034). Average number of alleles was found to be 5.25 per locus across all populations. The examined populations were characterized by a high level of genetic variability as assessed by computing the expected and observed heterozygosities, and polymorphism information content. The authors consider the results of this investigation as an accumulation of data in a research program concerning genetic characteristics of the native chicken populations of Iran that have not been surveyed yet.
KeywordsPolymorphism Information Content Domestic Fowl Chicken Breed Indigenous Chicken Chicken Population
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Moiseyeva, I.G., Chicken Breeds and Their Gene Pools, Gene Pools of Farm Animals: Genetic Resources of Animal Husbandry in Russia, Zakharov, I.A., Ed., Moscow: Nauka, 2006, pp. 229–388.Google Scholar
- 4.Shahbazi, A.S. and Mirhosseini, S.Z., Genetic Variation of Isfahan, Fars and Yazd Native Chicken Using Microsatellite Markers, in Proceedings of 4th National Biotechnology Congress Islamic Republic of Iran, Kerman, 2005, pp. 819–821.Google Scholar
- 9.Microsatellites: Evolution and Application, Goldstein, D.B. and Schlotterer, C., Eds., Oxford: Oxford Univ. Press, 1999.Google Scholar
- 10.Workshop of Molecular Markers in Animal Genome Study, Nasiri, M.R., Ed., Mashhad: 3rd National Biotechnology Congress, 2003.Google Scholar
- 12.Yeh, F.C., Yang, R.C., and Boyle, T., POPGENE. The User-Friendly Shareware for Population Genetic Analysis. Version 1.31, Edmonton: Univ. Alberta, 1999.Google Scholar
- 13.Ott, J., Program HET Version 1.10: Utility Programs for Analysis of Genetic Linkage, New York: Rockefeller Univ., 1989.Google Scholar