Polymorphism of the prion protein gene PRNP and risk of multiple sclerosis development in ethnic Russians from Bashkortostan
- 43 Downloads
M129V polymorphism of prion protein gene PRNP has been studied in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) and healthy ethnic Russians from Bashkortostan using allele-specific PCR. The genotype frequency distribution of the examined polymorphism in Russians from Bashkortostan was similar to that in European populations. MM, MV, and VV genotype frequencies in control group and in the MS patients were 50.24%, 42.58%, 7.18% and 43.33%, 45.83%, 10.84%, respectively. It was shown that in the group of MS patients with onset of the disease at the age of 21 and older, the frequency of the VV genotype was higher than in the control group (14.3% versus 6.18%, respectively, P = 0.041). We suggest that the VV genotype is associated with higher risk factor of MS development in the patients aged 21 years and older.
KeywordsMultiple Sclerosis Multiple Sclerosis Patient Prion Protein Prion Disease PRNP Gene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Zuev, V.A., From Prion Diseases to the Problem of Aging and Death, Vestn. Ross. Akad. Med. Nauk, 2001, no. 11, pp. 46–49.Google Scholar
- 4.Inge-Vechtomov, S.G., Yeast Prions and the Central Dogma of Molecular Biology, Vestn. Ross. Akad. Nauk, 2000, vol. 70, no. 4, pp. 299–306.Google Scholar
- 13.Zavalishin, I.A., Zakharova, M.N., Zhuchenko, T.D., and Peresedova, A.V., Ethiology and Pathogenesis of Multiple Sclerosis, in Rasseyannyi skleroz: Izbrannye voprosy teorii i praktiki (Multiple Sclerosis: Selected Issues of Theory and Practice), Moscow: NII nevrologii RAMN, 2000, pp. 537–579.Google Scholar
- 15.Wells, T., Multiple Sclerosis Genes Step out of the Shadows, Business Briefing: Future Drug Discovery, Boulton, E., Ed., London: World Markets Research Center, 2006, pp. 50–52. (www.touchbriefings.com).Google Scholar
- 18.Zhivotovsky, L.A., Populyatsionnaya biometriya (Population Biometry), Moscow: Nauka, 1991.Google Scholar
- 21.Bratosiewicz, J., Liberski, P., Kulczycki, J., et al., Codon 129 Polymorphism of the PRNP Gene in Normal Polish Population and in Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease and the Search for New Mutations in PRNP Gene, Acta Neurobiol. Exp., 2001, vol. 61, pp. 151–156.Google Scholar
- 25.Plaitakis, A., Viskadouraki, A., Tzagournissakis, M., et al., Increased Incidence of Sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease on the Island of Grete Associated with a High Rate of PRNP 129-Metionine Homozygosity in the Local Population, Ann. Neurol., 2001, vol. 50, pp. 227–233.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar