Differentiation of chum salmon Oncorhynchus keta Wallbaum populations as revealed with microsatellite and allozyme markers: A comparative study
- 30 Downloads
The features and extent of population differentiation in chum salmon Oncorhynchus keta from Sakhalin and Iturup Islands were studied with 10 microsatellite and 12 allozyme markers. It was demonstrated with the example of allozyme polymorphism at the EstD locus that the effect of an individual locus with one major allele is capable of distorting the total picture of population differentiation. Multiallelic microsatellites were more efficient in revealing the genetic structure of chum salmon populations at the levels of differences between regional populations and between the stocks of individual rivers of the same region.
KeywordsChum Salmon Allozyme Locus Genetic Data Analysis Oncorhynchus Keta Allozyme Marker
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Salmenkova, E.A., Altukhov, Yu.P., Viktorovskii, R.M., et al., Genetic Structure of the Chum Salmon Populations Spawning in the Rivers of the Soviet Far East, Zh. Obshch. Biol., 1986, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 529–548.Google Scholar
- 2.Salmenkova, E.A., Omelchenko, V.T., and Altukhov, Yu.P., Gene Geographic Investigation of Chum Salmon Oncorhynchus keta (Walbaum) Populations of the Asian Part of Species Area, Genetika (Moscow), 1992, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 76–91.Google Scholar
- 3.Bachevskaya, L.T. and Pustovoit, S.P., Genetic Diversity of Chum Salmon (Oncorhynchus keta) Populations from the Rivers of the Northern Sea of Okhotsk: Changes under Conditions of Natural and Artificial Reproduction, Vopr. Ikhtiol., 1996, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 660–666.Google Scholar
- 4.Schlötterer, C, Microsatellites, Molecular Genetic Analysis of Populations, Hoelzel, A.R., Ed., Oxford: Oxford Univ. Press, 1998, pp. 237–260.Google Scholar
- 5.Brown, B. and Epifanio, J., Nuclear DNA, Population Genetics: Principles and Applications for Fisheries Scientists, Hallerman, E.M., Ed., Bethesda: American Fish. Soc., 2003, pp. 101–126.Google Scholar
- 6.Zhivotovsky, L.A., Microsatellite Variation in Human Populations and Methods of Its Study, Inf. Vestn. VOGiS, 2006, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 74–96.Google Scholar
- 9.Yoon, M.S., Sato, J.E., Seeb, R.L., et al., Genetic Variation among Chum Salmon Population in the Pacific Rim Inferred from the Mitochondrial and Microsatellite DNA Analyses, NPAFC Doc., Minato: Graduate School of Fisheries Sciences, 2005.Google Scholar
- 13.Salmenkova, E.A., Omel’chenko, V.T., Afanasiev, K.I., and Rubtsova, G.A., Genetic Diversity of Chum Salmon Oncorhynchus keta Walbaum (Salmonidae, Salmoniformes) and Population Gene Pool Dynamics upon Artificial Reproduction, Vopr. Ikhtiol., 2008, no. 3 (in press).Google Scholar
- 14.Weir, B.S., Genetic Data Analysis: Methods for Discrete Population Genetic Data, Sunderland: Sinauer, 1990.Google Scholar
- 15.Lewis, P.O. and Zaykin, D., Genetic Data Analysis: Computer Program for the Analysis of Allelic Data, 2001, http://lewis.eeb.uconn.lewishome.html.
- 16.SPSS for Windows: Release 11.5.0. Standard Version, SPSS Inc., 2002.Google Scholar
- 17.Zhivotovsky, L.A., Afanasiev, K.I., Rubtsova, G.I., et al., Creation of the DNA Data Base for Solving Reproduction, Identification, and Certification Problems in Pacific Salmon Population at the Example of Chum Salmon of the Iturup Island, Vopr. Rybolovstva, 2008, no. 1 (in press).Google Scholar
- 18.Altukhov, Yu.P., Salmenkova, E.A., Omelchenko, V.T., et al., Balancing Selection as a Possible Factor in the Maintenance of Uniform Allele Frequencies of Enzyme-Coding Loci in Populations of Pacific Pink Salmon Oncorhynchus gorbuscha (Walbaum), Genetika (Moscow), 1987, vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 1884–1896.Google Scholar
- 19.Zhivotovsky, L.A., Afanas’ev, K.I., and Rubtsova, G.A., Selection for Enzymatic Loci in Pink Salmon, Oncorhynchus gorbuscha (Walbaum), Genetika (Moscow), 1987, vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 1876–1883.Google Scholar