Investigating the Physical Properties of Poly(L-lactic acid) Modified Using an Aromatics Succinic Dihydrazide Derivative
- 1 Downloads
In order to overcome the defect of slow crystallization rate of Poly(L-lactic acid) (PLLA) during manufacturing, a new organic nucleating agent, N,N'-succinic bis(hydrocinnamic acid) dihydrazide (BHSH), was synthesized to evaluate its influence on the crystallization and other physical properties of PLLA in this work. For this purpose, the non-isothermal crystallization, isothermal crystallization of PLLA modified using BHSH were investigated using differential scanning calorimetry and depolarized-light intensity measurement. Additionally, the melting behavior, thermal stability, and optical property of BHSHnucleated PLLA were further studied. The result of the non-isothermal crystallization behavior indicated that BHSH had a distinct accelerating effect for the melt crystallization process of PLLA and the non-isothermal crystallization peak shifted to the higher temperature and became sharper. Meantime, non-isothermal crystallization result further revealed that both the cooling rate and the final set melting temperature affected the non-isothermal crystallization behavior of PLLA. The addition of BHSH could cause the crystallization halftime of PLLA to become shorter, meaning that PLLA/BHSH samples had a faster overall crystallization rate comparing with the pure PLLA. Upon the addition of 2 wt% BHSH, the crystallization half-time of PLLA/BHSH decreased from 575.7 s to the minimum value 48.6 s at 100°C. Melting behavior after crystallization further confirmed the crystallization promoting effect of BHSH for PLLA, and the double-melting peaks were attributed to the melting-recrystallization. Although that the BHSH could improve the crystallization of PLLA, unfortunately, the presence of BHSH decreased the thermal stability and light transmittance of PLLA.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Y. H. Cai, Y. H. Zhang, and L. P. Ren, J. Macromol. Sci., Part B: Phys. 55,547 (2016).Google Scholar
- 11.D. Merino, Y. Mansila, C. Casalongue, and V. Alvarez, Av. Cienc. Ing. 7, 27 (2016).Google Scholar
- 36.Y. H. Cai, S. F. Yan, J. B. Yin, Y. Q. Fan, and X. S. Chen, J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 121(3), 1408 (2011).Google Scholar
- 42.Y. Q. Shi, L. Wen, and Z. Xing, Polym. Polym. Compos. 26, 169 (2018).Google Scholar
- 46.Y. H. Cai and L. S. Zhao, e-Polym. 16, 303 (2016).Google Scholar
- 49.L. L. Tian and Y. H. Cai, Mater. Sci. 24, 81 (2018).Google Scholar