Physico-mechanical properties and biodegradation of oxo-degradable HDPE/PLA blends
- 125 Downloads
Blends of high density polyethylene/poly(lactic acid) with/without compatibilizer and pro-oxidant (cobalt stearate) were prepared by melt blending technique. In ratio 80/20, the blend revealed a good combination of tensile properties and optimum poly(lactic acid) content. The improvement in mechanical properties of this blend was achieved by addition of 4 phr compatibilizer. Cobalt stearate (CoSt) was added to 80/20 blends in 0.1% and 0.2% (w/w) ratios. The obtained blends were characterized by DSC, SEM, FTIR spectroscopy, rheological study, etc. All the prepared blends were able to biodegrade in composting environment and the blend containing pro-oxidant was maximum degraded.
KeywordsStorage Modulus HDPE LDPE Lower Critical Solution Temperature Polymer Blend
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.S. A. Casarin, J. A. Agnelli, S. M. Malmonge, and F. Rosário, Polímeros 23, 115 (2013).Google Scholar
- 30.ASTM (ASTM International) D5338: Standard Test Method for Determining Aerobic Biodegradation of Plastic Materials under Controlled Composting Conditions, 1998.Google Scholar
- 31.ISO (International Organization for Standardization) 14855-1: Determination of the Ultimate Aerobic Biodegradabilty and Disintergration of Plastic Materials under Controlled Composting Conditions—Method by Analysis of Evolved Carbon Dioxide, 1995.Google Scholar
- 32.A. Steinbüchel, General Aspects and Special Applications (Wiley-Vch, Germany, 2003).Google Scholar
- 36.D. R. Paul, Polymer Blends (Elsevier, New York, 2012).Google Scholar
- 46.G. M. Bohlmann, “General Characteristics, Processability, Industrial Applications and Market Evolution of Biodegradable Polymers,” in Handbook of Biodegradable Polymers, Ed. By C. Bastoili (Rapra Technol. Lim., Shawbury; Shrewsbury; Shropshire, 2005), Chap. 6.Google Scholar
- 51.L. K. Massey, Permeability Properties of Plastics and Elastomers: A Guide to Packaging and Barrier Materials (William Andrew, New York, 2003).Google Scholar