A preparative procedure for the synthesis of thietanes bearing alkyl substituents in the β-position was developed. Using this procedure, 3-substituted thietanes can be obtained in four steps with an ultimate yield of > 50%. 3-R-thietanes (where R = CH3, C4H9, C5H11, C6H13, C6H5) and the corresponding sulfoxides and sulfones were synthesized and examined. The feasibility of preparation of gem-3,3-substituted thietanes was exemplified by the synthesis of 3,3-dihexylthietane.
KeywordsPropanediol Petroleum Chemistry Sulfonyl Chloride Lithium Aluminum Hydride Organic Sulfur Compound
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.N. A. Akperov, Neftepererab. Neftekhim., No. 1, 44 (2004).Google Scholar
- 6.Synthesis and Properties of Organic Sulfur Compounds, Ed. by L. I. Belen’kii (Khimiya, Moscow, 1998) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 8.D. C. Dittmer and T. C. Sedergran, in Small Ring Heterocycles, Ed. by A. Hassner (Wiley, New York, 1985), Part III, p. 431.Google Scholar
- 9.Y. Etienne and R. Soulas, in Heterocyclic Compounds with Three and Four Membered Rings, Ed. by A. Weissberger (Wiley, New York, 1964), p. 685.Google Scholar
- 10.E. Block, in Comprehensive Heterocyclic Chemistry, Ed. by A. R. Katritzky (Pergamon, 1976), Vol. 7,Part 5, p. 403.Google Scholar
- 11.N. P. Volynskii and S. E. Shevchenko, Neftekhimiya 47, 125 (2007) [Pet. Chem. 47, 109 (2007)].Google Scholar
- 12.N. P. Volynskii, Neftekhimiya 43, 380 (2003) [Pet. Chem. 43, 344 (2003)].Google Scholar
- 13.Organic Syntheses, Collective Volume 1 ed. by H. Gilman et al. (Wiley, New York, 1942; Inostrannaya Literatura, Moscow, 1949).Google Scholar
- 14.Properties of Organic Compounds: A Handbook, Ed. by A. A. Potekhin (Khimiya, Leningrad, 1984) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 15.N. G. Gaylord, Reduction with Complex Metal Hydrides (Interscience, New York, 1956; Inostrannaya Literatura, Moscow, 1959).Google Scholar
- 16.N. P. Volynskii, L. I. Perepelitchenko, and L. A. Zegel’man, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., No. 11, 2506 (1987).Google Scholar