Genetic local search the graph partitioning problem under cardinality constraints
- 52 Downloads
For the graph partitioning problem under cardinality constraints, a genetic local search method is developed. At each iteration of the method, there is a set of local optima of the problem. This set is used to search for new local optima with a smaller error. The local search problem with certain polynomially searchable neighborhoods is proved to be tight PLS-complete. It is shown that, in the worst case, number of local improvements can be exponentially large for any pivoting rule. Numerical experiments are performed in the special case of edge weights equal to unity, when local search is a polynomial-time procedure. The results of the experiments indicate that the method is highly efficient and can be applied to large-scale problems.
Keywordsgraph partitioning problem tight PLS-completeness local search genetic algorithms
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.O. Goldschmit and D. S. Hochbaum, “Polynomial Algorithm for the k-Cut Problem,” Proceedings of 29th Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science (IEEE Comput. Soc., 1988), pp. 444–451.Google Scholar
- 3.V. V. Vazirani, Approximation Algorithms (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2001).Google Scholar
- 9.C. Walshaw, “Graph Partitioning Archive” http://staffweb.cms.gre.ac.uk/~c.walshaw/partition
- 10.E. A. Nurminskii, “Decomposition and Parallelization of Computing Processes Based on Fejer Processes with a Small Perturbation,” Proceedings of 14th Baikal International Workshop on Optimization Methods and Applications (ISEM, Sib. Otd. Ross. Akad. Nauk, Irkutsk, 2008), Vol. 1, pp. 128–137.Google Scholar
- 13.T. Bertold, “Automatic Detection of Orbitopal Symmetries,” Abstracts of OR-2008 Conference (Augsburg, 2008), p. 198.Google Scholar
- 14.M. Peinhardt, “Breaking Model Symmetry for Graph Partitioning,” Abstracts of OR- (2008).Google Scholar
- 17.C. M. Fiduccia and R. M. Mattheyses, “A Linear-Time Heuristic for Improving Network Partitions,” Proceedings of 19th Design Automation Conference (IEEE Comput. Soc. Press, Los Alamitos, CA, 1982), pp. 175–181.Google Scholar
- 18.G. Laszewski, “Intelligent Structural Operators for the k-Way Graph Partitioning Problem,” Proceedings of 14th International Conference on Genetic Algorithms (1991), pp. 45–52.Google Scholar
- 21.M. Yannakakis, “Computational Complexity,” in Local Search in Combinatorial Optimization (Wiley, Chichester, 1997), pp. 19–55.Google Scholar
- 22.Yu. Kochetov, “Facility Location: Discrete Models and Local Search Methods,” Combinatorial Optimization Methods and Applications (IOS, Amsterdam, 2011), pp. 97–134.Google Scholar