Turbulent circulation above the surface heat source in a stably stratified environment
- 23 Downloads
The results of the numerical modeling of turbulent structure of the penetrating convection above the urban heat island with a small aspect ratio in a stably stratified medium at rest are presented. The gradient diffusion representations for turbulent momentum and heat fluxes are used, which depend on three parameters — the turbulence kinetic energy, the velocity of its spectral expenditure, and the dispersion of temperature fluctuations. These parameters are found from the closed differential equations of balance in the RANS approach of turbulence description. The distributions of averaged velocity and temperature fields as well as turbulent characteristics agree well with measurement data.
Keywordsturbulence planetary boundary layer urban heat island large-scale circulation numerical modeling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.R.A. Pielke, Mesoscale meteorological modeling. 2nd edition, Academic Press, New York, 2002.Google Scholar
- 6.A.F. Kurbatsky, Modeling of Non-local Turbulent Transfer of Momentum and Heat, Nauka, Novosibirsk, 1988.Google Scholar
- 7.C.G. Speziale, Modeling of turbulent transport equations, in: T.B. Gatski, M.Y. Hussaini, J.L. Lumley (Eds.), Simulation and Modeling of Turbulent Flows, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1996.Google Scholar
- 15.A.S. Monin and A.M. Yaglom, Statistical Fluid Mechanics. Vol. 1: Mechanics of Turbulence, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass., 1971.Google Scholar
- 18.P. Roache, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Hermosa, Albuquerque, New Mexico, 1976.Google Scholar