Numerical investigation of supersonic flow breakdown at the inlet duct throttling
- 52 Downloads
The work presents the results of investigating the process of supersonic flow deceleration in a duct of the two-dimensional inlet throttled by variation of the outlet cross-sectional area. An inlet with three external compression shock waves designed for the freestream Mach number Md = 7 was considered as an example for the investigation. A one-dimensional analysis of the conditions for realization of the supersonic flow deceleration regimes in the inlet duct with two throats — in the inlet entrance and at the inlet duct outlet, has been carried out. The parametric numerical computations of two-dimensional inviscid or turbulent flows in the inlet were performed with the use of the Euler and Navier—Stokes codes of the program package FLUENT. The critical conditions for the nonuniform flow in the outlet throat bringing to choking the inlet duct were determined.
Key wordstwo-dimensional inlet supersonic flow duct throttling numerical simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Ferri, Elements of Aerodynamics of Supersonic Flows, Dover Phoenix Editions, New York, 2005.Google Scholar
- 2.R. German, Supersonic Inlet Diffusers, Fizmatgiz, Moscow, 1960.Google Scholar
- 3.L. Crocco, One-dimensional treatment of steady gas dynamics, in: H.W. Emmons (Ed.), Fundamentals of Gas Dynamics, Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, 1958, P. 110–130.Google Scholar
- 4.V.G. Gurylev, V.P. Starukhin, and G.I. Poleshchuk, Inlets of High-speed Flying Vehicles: an Overview of the Materials of Open Foreign Press, ONTI TsAGI, Moscow, 1985, No. 658.Google Scholar
- 5.K. Matsuo, Y. Miyazato, and H.-D. Kim, Shock train and pseudo-shock phenomena in internal gas flow, Progress in aerospace sci., 1999, No. 35, P. 33–100.Google Scholar
- 6.O.V. Guskov, V.I. Kopchenov, I.I. Lipatov, K.N. Ostras, and V.P. Starukhin, Processes of Supersonic Flows Deceleration in Ducts, Fizmatlit, Moscow, 2008.Google Scholar
- 7.E.T. Curran and S.N.B. Murthy (Eds.), Scramjet Propulsion. Progress in Astronautics and Aeronautics, AIAA, Washington, 2000, Vol. 189.Google Scholar
- 9.A. Kantrowitz and C. Donaldson, Preliminary investigation of supersonic diffusers, NACA Wartime Report, ACR L5D20, May, 1945.Google Scholar
- 11.V.S. Zuev and V.S. Makarov, Theory of Ramjet and Rocket Ramjet Engines, Mashinostroenie, Moscow, 1971.Google Scholar
- 12.Yu.P. Gounko, Nonuniform flow choking in a duct with skin friction, Izv. SO AN SSSR, Ser. Tech. Nauk, 1976, No. 13, Issue 1, P. 71–77.Google Scholar
- 13.V.G. Gurylev and E.V. Piotrovich, Flow stall at the supersonic inlet entrance, Uch. Zap. TsAGI, 1974, Vol. 5, No. 3, P. 63–70.Google Scholar