An eruption of the veer cone as a volcanic event during the increase of volcanic activity in Kamchatka at the beginning of the Christian Era
- First Online:
Tephrochronologic studies conducted in the Levaya Avacha River valley helped determine the true age of the Veer cinder cone, which formed approximately in 470 AD (1600 14C BP). These data refute the existing idea that it was generated in 1856. The monogenetic Veer cone should be cancelled from the catalogs of historical eruptions and active volcanoes in Kamchatka. The eruption of this cone was a reflection of the all-Kamchatkan increase in the activity of endogenous processes that occurred in 0–650 AD.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bazanova, L.I., Braitseva, O.A., Dirksen, O.V., et al., Ashfalls of Major Holocene Eruptions As Identified along the Ust’-Bol’sheretsk-Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskii Traverse: Sources, Chronology, Frequency, Vulkanol. Seismol., 2005, no. 6, pp. 30–46.Google Scholar
- 2.Braitseva, O.A. and Melekestsev, I.V., Karymskii Volcano: A History of Generation, the Variation of Activity, and Long-Term Forecast, Vulkanol. Seismol., 1989, no. 2, pp. 14–31.Google Scholar
- 3.Braitseva, O.A., Melekestsev, I.V., Flerov, G.B., et al., The Holocene Volcanism of the Tolbachik Regional Zone of Cinder Cones, in Bol’shoe treshchinnoe Tolbachinskoe izverzhenie, Kamchatka, 1975–1976 gg. (The Great Tolbachik Fissure Eruption of 1975–1976, Kamchatka), Moscow: Nauka, 1984, pp. 177–223.Google Scholar
- 4.Braitseva, O.A. and Pevzner, M.M., On the Age of Novo-Bakening Volcano, Kamchatka and on the Tephrostratigraphy of the Area, Vulkanol. Seismol., 2000, no. 6, pp. 3–12.Google Scholar
- 5.Braitseva, O.A., Sulerzhitskii, L.D., Ponomareva, V.V., and Melekestsev, I.V., The Geochronology of Major Holocene Explosive Eruptions in Kamchatka and Their Repercussions on the Greenland Ice Sheet, Dokl. Akad. Nauk, 1997, vol. 352, no. 4, pp. 516–518.Google Scholar
- 6.Dirksen, O.V. and Melekestsev, I.V., The Chronology, a History of Generation and Morphology of Centers of the Holocene Areal Volcanism in the Avacha River Basin, Kamchatka, Russia, Vulkanol. Seismol., 1999, no. 1, pp. 3–19.Google Scholar
- 7.Melekestsev, I.V., Braitseva, O.A., Ponomareva, V.V., et al., The Period 0–650 AD: A Phase of the Violent Natural Catastrophism during the Christian Era in Kamchatka, Vulkanol. Seismol., 2003, no. 6, pp. 3–23.Google Scholar
- 8.Novograblenov, P.T., A Catalog of Kamchatka Volcanoes, Izv. Gos. Geograficheskogo Obshchestva, 1932, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 88–99.Google Scholar
- 9.Tsuryupa, A.I., A Chronology and Features of Neotectonic Volcanism in the Avacha River Basin and Adjacent Areas, Byul. Vulkanol. Stantsii, 1978, no. 55, pp. 54–63.Google Scholar
- 11.Dirksen, O.V., Melekestsev, I.V., and Bazanova, L.I., Periodicity of Monogenetic Basaltic Volcanism and Its Relationship with Tectonic Activity at the Basin of Avacha River, Kamchatka, Russia, IUGG Meeting, Birmingham, 1999.Google Scholar
- 12.Simkin, T. and Siebert, L., Volcanoes of the World, Tucson, USA: Geoscience Press, 1994.Google Scholar
- 13.Stuiver, M., Reimer, P.J., Bard, E., et al., INTCAL 98 Radiocarbon Age Calibration 24.000-0 Cal B.P. Radiocarbon, 1998, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 1041–1083.Google Scholar