Active volcanoes of Kamchatka and northern Kurils in 2005
- 51 Downloads
In 2005, six major eruptions of four Kamchatka volcanoes (Bezymyannyi, Klyuchevskoy, Shiveluch, and Karymskii) occurred and the Avachinskii, Mutnovskii, and Gorelyi Kamchatka volcanoes and the Ebeko and Chikurachki volcanoes in northern Kurils were in a state of increased activity. Owing to a close collaboration between the KVERT project, Elizovo airport meteorological center, and volcanic ash advisory centers in Tokyo, Anchorage, and Washington (Tokyo, Anchorage, and Washington VAACs), all necessary measures for safe airplane flights near Kamchatka were taken and fatal accidents related to volcanic activity did not occur.
KeywordsExplosive Eruption Lava Dome Fumarolic Activity Satellite Photograph Shiveluch Volcano
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Girina, O.A. and Gorbach, N.V., Bezymyannyi Volcano Eruption of January 11, 2005, in Materialy Mezhdunarodnogo simpoziuma po problemam eksplozivnogo vulkanizma (Proc. Int. Symposium on Problems of Explosive Volcanism), Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskii, 2006, pp. 87–97.Google Scholar
- 2.Girina, O.A., Demyanchuk, Yu.V., Mel’nikov, D.V., et al., New Paroxysmal Phase of the Molodoi Shiveluch Eruption, Kamchatka, February 27, 2005 (Preliminary Report), Vulkanol. Seismol., 2006, no. 1, pp. 16–23.Google Scholar
- 3.Girina, O.A., Malik, N.A., and Kotenko, L.V., Active Volcanoes on Northern Kurils and Their Activity in 2004–2005, in Materialy ezhegodnoi konferentsii, posvyashchennoi Dnyu vulkanologa (Proc. Annual Conf. Devoted to a Day of Volcanologist), Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskii: IViS DVO RAN, 2005, pp. 79–87.Google Scholar
- 4.Girina, O.A., Senyukov, S.L., and Nil, K.A., Kamchatka Volcanic Eruption Response Team (KVERT) in 2002–2004, in Materialy 4-go mezhdunarodnogo soveshchaniya po protsessam v zonakh subduktsii Yaponskoi, Kurilo-Kamchatskoi i Aleutskoi ostrovnykh dug, avgust 2004 (Proc. 4th Int. Conference on Processe in the zones of Subduction of the Japan, Kurils-Kamchatka, and Aleutian Island Arcs), Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskii, 2004, pp. 31–32.Google Scholar
- 5.Nuzhdaev, A.A., Girina, O.A., and Mel’nikov, D.V., Certain Results of Studying Pyroclastic Deposits of Molodoi Shiveluch Eruptions of February 28 and September 22, 2005, by Ground-Based and Remote Methods, Vestn. KRAUNTs, Nauk. Zeml., 2005, issue 6, pp. 62–66.Google Scholar
- 6.Kir’yanov, V.Yu., Nil, K.E., Gordeev, E.I., et al., Kamchatka Volcanic Eruption Response Team (KVERT), USG, 2003.Google Scholar
- 7.Senyukov, S.L., Droznina, S.Ya., Nuzhdina, I.N., et al., Studies of the Kamchatka Volcanoes by Remote Methods in 2005, in Materialy Mezhdunarodnogo simpoziuma po problemam eksplozivnogo vulkanizma (Proc. Int. Symposium on Problems of Explosive Volcanism), Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskii, 2006, pp. 64–75.Google Scholar