Advertisement

Human Physiology

, Volume 43, Issue 7, pp 769–773 | Cite as

Variation of the State of Lower Limb Veins in Cosmonauts during Long-term Missions

  • A. R. Kotovskaya
  • G. A. Fomina
  • A. V. Salnikov
Article

Abstract

This paper reports changes in the main parameters of lower limb veins in 35 cosmonauts in the course of six-month space missions. Major reduction in the leg volume was shown in all cosmonauts, as well as a significant increase in venous capacitance and compliance. The rate of lower leg vein filling exhibited different trends; it was decreased in the majority of cosmonauts (n = 26, 74%) and increased in the rest (n = 9, 26%). Increases in venous capacitance, compliance, and filling rates may impact orthostatic stability (OS). These changes are among the pathophysiological mechanisms of the OS loss in spaceflight.

Keywords

space mission microgravity hemodynamics veins pathophysiological mechanisms 

Preview

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

References

  1. 1.
    Grandpierre, R., Colleu, M., Hauttement, J.L., et al., Intérêt et movens d’étude de la circulation sanguine périphérique an apesanteur, Proc. IV Int. Symp. “Human in Space,” Yerevan, 1971, Moscow, 1974, pp. 125–141.Google Scholar
  2. 2.
    Shik, L.L., Sergeeva, K.A., and Moiseev, V.A., Investigation of reasons of orthostatic instability, in Problemy kosmicheskoi biologii (Problems of Space Biology), Moscow: Nauka, 1975, vol. 31, pp. 157–164.PubMedGoogle Scholar
  3. 3.
    Khayutin, V.M., Shenderov, S.M., Zakharov, A.G., and Rogoza, A.N., Orthostatic instability of blood circulation system: the role of resistive vessels detraining, Kosm. Biol. Aviakosm. Med., 1984, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 4–12.Google Scholar
  4. 4.
    Buckey, J.C., Lane, L.D., Levine, B.D., et al., Orthostatic intolerance after spaceflight, J. Appl. Physiol., 1996, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 7–18.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
  5. 5.
    Bungo, H.W., The cardiopulmonary system, in Space Physiology and Medicine, Nicogossian, A.E., Leach-Huntoon, C., and Pool, S.L., Eds., Philadelphia: Lea and Febiger, 1989, pp. 179–201.Google Scholar
  6. 6.
    Tyberg, J.V. and Hamilton, V.R., Orthostatic hypotension and the role of changes in venous capacitance, Med. Sci. Sport Exerc., 1996, vol. 28, pp. 29–32.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  7. 7.
    Fomina, G.A., Kotovskaya, A.R., Talavrinov, V.A., et al., Condition of the lower limb veins of in the shortand long-term space flights (according to occlusive plethysmography data), in Orbital’naya stantsiya “Mir” (Mir Orbital Station), Moscow: Inst. Med.-Biol. Probl., Ross. Akad. Nauk, 2002, vol. 2, chap. 8, pp. 510–519.Google Scholar
  8. 8.
    Kotovskaya, A.R., Fomina, G.A., Salnikov, A.V., and Yarmanova, E.N., Development of methodology for the study of the lower limbs veins of cosmonauts as regards to the practice of space medicine, Aviakosm. Ekol. Med., 2014, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 5–9.Google Scholar

Copyright information

© Pleiades Publishing, Inc. 2017

Authors and Affiliations

  • A. R. Kotovskaya
    • 1
  • G. A. Fomina
    • 1
  • A. V. Salnikov
    • 1
  1. 1.Institute of Biomedical ProblemsRussian Academy of SciencesMoscowRussia

Personalised recommendations