A combined toolset for the verification of real-time distributed systems
Checking the correctness of distributed systems is one of the most difficult and urgent problems in software engineering. A combined toolset for the verification of real-time distributed systems (RTDS) is described. RTDSs are specified as statecharts in the Universal Modeling Language (UML). The semantics of statecharts is defined by means of hierarchical timed automata. The combined toolset consists of a UML statechart editor, a verification tool for model checking networks of real-time automata in UPPAAL, and a translator of UML statecharts into networks of timed automata. The focus is on the translation algorithm from UML statecharts into networks of hierarchical timed automata. To illustrate the proposed approach to the verification of RTDSs, a toy example of a real-time crossroad traffic control system is analyzed.
KeywordsTraffic Light Composite State Verification System Verification Tool Synchronization Signal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Balashov, V.V., Bakhmurov, A.G., Volkanov, D.Yu, Smeliansky, R.L., Chistolinov, M.V., and Yushchenko, N.V., A test facility for semirealistic simulation and development of embedded computer system, Trudy 3 Vserossiiskoi nauchnoi konferentsii (Proc. of the Third All-Russia Scientific Conference), Moscow: Mosk. Gos. Univ., 2009, pp. 16–25.Google Scholar
- 3.Gomaa, H., Designing Concurrent, Distributed,and Real-Time Applications with UML, Reading, Mass.: Addison-Wesley, 2000.Google Scholar
- 5.Alur, R. and Dill, D.L., Automata-theoretic verification of real-time systems, in Formal Methods for Real-Time Computing. Trends in Software, Chichester: Wiley, 1996, pp. 55–82.Google Scholar
- 9.Berard, D. and Sierra, L., Comparing verification with HyTech, Kronos and UPPAAL on the railroad crossing example, Research Report, 2000.Google Scholar
- 11.David, A. and Moller, M.O., From HUPPAAL to UPPAAL: A translation from hierarchical timed automata to flat timed automata, Univ. of Aarhus, Department of Computer Science, 2001, no. RS-01-11, BRICS.Google Scholar
- 15.David, A., Moller, M.O., and Yi, W., Verification of UML statechart with real-time extensions, IT Tech. Rep. of Uppsala University, Uppsala: Dep. of Information Technology, 2003, no. 2003-009.Google Scholar
- 17.Clarke, E.M., Jr., Grumberg, O., and Peled, D., Model Checking (Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 1999; Moscow: Mosc. Tsentr Nepreryvnogo Matematicheskogo Obrazovaniya, 2002).Google Scholar
- 19.Alur, R. and Henzinger, T.A., Real-time system = discrete system + clock variables, in Theories and Experiences for Real-Time System Development, AMAST Series in Computing, 1994, pp. 1–30.Google Scholar
- 20.Volkanov, D.Yu., Zakharov, V.A., Zorin, D.A., Konnov, I.V., and Podymov, V.V., How to develop a simple tool for the verification of real-time systems, Mat. Anal., Inf. Sist., 2012, no. 4.Google Scholar
- 21.Furfaro, A. and Nigro, L., Embedded control systems design based on RT-DEVS and temporal analysis using UPPAAL, in Proc. of the Int. Multiconference on Computer Science and Information Technology, 2008, pp. 601–608.Google Scholar
- 22.Chistolinov, M.V. Epatko, I.V., Bahmurov, A.G., Smelyansky, R.L., Zakharov, V.A., Winter, K., and Usenko, Y., Towards a unified toolset for embedded systems development, in Proc. of the Conference UKRPROG-2000 Problems of Programming, 2000, nos. 1–2, pp. 316–322.Google Scholar