Query triggers for XML DBMS: Efficient implementation based on shadow mechanism
- 35 Downloads
Active database systems extend functionality of traditional database systems with powerful mechanisms of triggers (or active rules) support. Triggers provide a uniform and convenient base that can be used for realization of internal DBMS functions, such as support of integrity constraints, representations, access authorization, statistics gathering, monitoring and notifications and for higher efficiency of external applications. Among representative examples of external applications that can be based on the usage of properties of active DBMS are data-intensive expert systems and workflow management systems. Today, the majority of industrial relational DBMS already support triggers, while XML DBMS, which are comparatively new, lack such functionality. Expansion of the XML DBMS application field and its usage in constructing complex application system stimulates appearance of new research works aimed at extending the functionality of XML DBMS by trigger support.
In this paper, the authors define a special type of triggers for XML DBMS—XML triggers responding to data retrieval—and propose methods for their implementation. The paper also discusses examples of applications where XML query triggers occur to be useful and gives review of existing research works in this area.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fomichev, A., Grinev, M., and Kuznetsov, S., Sedna: A Native XML DBMS, Proc. of SOFSEM 2006, 2006, pp. 272–281.Google Scholar
- 2.XHiveDB, http://www.xhive.com.
- 3.Mark Logic’s xqzone, http://xqzone.marklogic.com.
- 4.Bailey, J., Papamarkos, G., Poulovassilis, A., and Wood, P.T., An Event-Condition-Action Language for XML, in Web Dynamics, Springer, 2004, pp. 223–248.Google Scholar
- 5.Stonebraker, M., Jhingran, A., Goh, J., and Potamianos, S., On Rules, Procedures, Caching and Views in Data Base Systems. Proc. of ACM SIGMOD Conf., 1990, pp. 281–290.Google Scholar
- 6.Widom, J. and Ceri, S., Active Database Systems: Triggers and Rules for Advanced Database Processing, The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Data Management Systems, 1996.Google Scholar
- 7.Eswaran, K.P., Aspects of a Trigger Subsystem in an Integrated Database System, Proc. of the 2nd Int. Conf. on Software Engineering, 1976, pp. 243–250.Google Scholar
- 8.Potamianos, S., Semantics and Performance of Integrated DBMS Systems, Ph.D. Dissertation, Berkeley: Univ. of California, 1991.Google Scholar
- 9.Goh, J., Rule Processing with Query Rewrite, MS Dissertation, Berkeley: Univ. of California, 1991.Google Scholar
- 10.Meng, X., et al., OrientX: A Schema-Based Native XML Database System, Proc. of VLDB, 2003, pp. 1057–1060.Google Scholar
- 11.Boag, S., Chamberlin, D., Fernandez, M., Florescu, D., Robie, J., and Simeon, J., XQuery 1.0: An XML Query Language, http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery, 2007.
- 12.Siméon, J. and Wadler, P., The Essence of XML, Proc. of FLOPS, 2002, pp. 21–46.Google Scholar
- 13.Rekouts (Grineva), M. and Grinev, M., Introducing Trigger Support for XML Database Systems, Proc. of SYR-CoDIS, 2005.Google Scholar
- 14.Rekouts (Grineva), M., Incorporating Active Rules Processing into Update Execution in XML Database Systems, Proc. of DEXA Workshop, 2005, pp. 831–836.Google Scholar
- 15.Chamberlin, D., Florescu, D., and Robie, J., XQuery Update Facility Working Draft, http://www.w3.org/TR/xqupdate, 2006.
- 16.Rekouts (Grineva), M., Grinev, M., and Boldakov, A., A Method for XQuery Transform Implementation Based on Shadow Mechanism, Proc. of DEXA Workshop on XML Data Management Tools & Techniques (XANTEC’06), 2006, pp. 470–475.Google Scholar
- 17.Stilo Whitepapers. Single Sourcing. Managing the Impact of Change on Content, http://www.stilo.com/download/stilowhitepapers.html.
- 18.Shasha, D. and Bonnet, P., Database Tuning. Principles, Experiments, and Troubleshooting Techniques, The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Data Management Systems, 2003.Google Scholar
- 19.Garza, J.F. and Won Kim, Transaction Management in an Object-Oriented Database Systems, Proc. of the ACM SIGMOD Int. Conf. on Management of Data, 1988, pp. 37–45.Google Scholar
- 20.Stilo Whitepapers. Content Engineering, http://www.stilo.com/download/stilowhitepapers.html.
- 22.Bonifati, A., Braga, D., Campi, A., and Ceri, S., Active XQuery, Proc. of the 18th Int. Conf. on Data Engineering (ICDE’02), 2002, pp. 403–418.Google Scholar
- 23.Boldakov, A.A. and Grinev, M.N., Transformation of XML Data Using Updates without Side Effects, Programmirovaniye, 2006, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 21–39 [Program. Comp. Soft. (Engl. Transl.), 2006, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 255–267].Google Scholar