Gravitational lensing is predicted by general relativity and is found in observations. When a gravitating body is surrounded by a plasma, the lensing angle depends on the frequency of the electromagnetic wave due to refraction properties, and the dispersion properties of light propagation in the plasma. The last effect leads to a frequency dependence, even in the uniform plasma, of the lensing angle, which resembles the properties of a refractive prism spectrometer. The strongest action of this spectrometer is for the frequencies slightly exceeding the plasma frequency, which corresponds to very long radiowaves.
PACS numbers04.20.-q 04.20.Cv 95.30.Sf 41.20.Jb 42.15.-i 98.62.Sb
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.P. V. Bliokh and A. A. Minakov, Gravitational Lenses (Naukova Dumka, Kiev, 1989) (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 3.S. Ya. Braude, A. V. Megn, S. L. Rashokovski, B. P. Ryabov, N. K. Sharykin, K. P. Sokolov, A. P. Tkatchenko, and I. N. Zhouk, The UTR-2 Very Low-Frequency Sky Survey Data (Braude+ 1978–2002), VizieR On-line Data Catalog (2007).Google Scholar
- 4.T. Damour and G. Esposito-Farèse, Phys. Rev. D 58, 042001 (1998).Google Scholar
- 6.V. A. Fok, Theory of Space, Time, and Gravitation (Moscow, 1955) (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 7.V. L. Ginzburg, The Propagation of Electromagnetic Waves in Plasmas (International Series of Monographs in Electromagnetic Waves, Pergamon, Oxford, 1970).Google Scholar
- 8.I. S. Gradshtein and I. M. Ryzhik, Tables of Integrals, Sums, and Products (Nauka, Moscow, 1971) (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 9.L. D. Landau and E.M. Lifshitz, Electrodynamics of Continuous Media, Course of Theoretical Physics (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1960).Google Scholar
- 10.L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz, The Classical Theory of Fields (Pergamon, Oxford, 1993).Google Scholar
- 11.C. Møler, The Theory of Relativity (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1972).Google Scholar
- 15.P. Schneider, J. Ehlers, and E. Falco, Gravitational Lensing (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1992).Google Scholar
- 17.V. V. Zhelezniakov, ElectromagneticWaves in Space Plasma: Generation and Propagation (Nauka, Moscow, 1977) (in Russian).Google Scholar