Isotopically modified molybdenum for safe nuclear power
- 44 Downloads
The possibility of applying isotopically modified molybdenum like the structural material of fuel elements for light-water and fast reactors with dispersed fuel containing granules of the metal U–Mo-alloy in Mo matrix, has been discussed. It has been shown that with isotope-modified molybdenum with the neutron capture cross-section close to natural zirconium, the improved safety of nuclear reactors, i.e., both thermal and fast-neutron reactors, due to the improvement of heat-transfer emission in fuel elements has been achieved. Assessments demonstrated that molybdenum with economic practical cost may be obtained on the existing cascades of gas centrifuges developed for the separation of nonuranium isotopes.
Keywordsmolybdenum safety of nuclear reactors isotopes separation separating cascade multicomponent mixture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Atomnaya nauka i tekhnika v SSSR (Nuclear Science and Engineering in the Soviet Union), Morokhov, I.D., Zadikyan, A.A., and Kruglov, A.K., Eds., Moscow: Atomizdat, 1977.Google Scholar
- 2.Kalin, B.A., Platonov, P.A., Tuzov, Yu.V., Chernov, I.I., and Shtrombakh, Ya.I., Fizicheskoe Materialovedenie (Physical Materials Science), vol. 6: Konstruktsionnye materialy yadernoi tekhnik (Structural Materials for Nuclear Engineering), Moscow: MIFI, 2012.Google Scholar
- 3.Fizicheskoe materialovedenie (Physical Materials Science), vol. 7: Yadernye toplivnye materialy (Nuclear Fuel Materials), Kalin, B.A., Ed., Moscow: MIFI, 2012.Google Scholar
- 4.Hummel, H.H. and Okrent, D., Reactivity Coefficients in Large Fast Power Reactors, La Grange Park, Ill.: American Nuclear Society, 1970.Google Scholar
- 5.Grigor'ev, I.S. and Meilikhov, E.Z., Fizicheskie velichiny: Spravochnik (Physical Data: A Handbook), Moscow: Energoatomizdat, 1991.Google Scholar
- 6.Izotopy: Svoistva, poluchenie, primenenie (Izotopes: Properties, Production, and Applications), Baranov, V.Yu., Ed., Moscow: Fizmatlit, 2005, vol.1.Google Scholar
- 11.Cheltsov, A.N. and Sosnin, L.Yu., Nuclear engineering stable isotopes of lead, molybdenum, nickel, and methods of their production, Proc. of SPLG-2006, 2006, p. 320.Google Scholar
- 13.von Halle, E., Multocomponent isotope separation in matched abundance ratio cascades with losses from each stage, Proc. 8th Workshop on Separation Phenomena in Liquids and Gases, Oak Ridge, Tenn., 2003.Google Scholar
- 16.Borisevich, V.D., Borman, V.D., Sulaberidze, G.A., Tikhomirov, A.V., and Tokmantsev, V.I., Fizicheskie osnovy razdeleniya izotopov v gazovoi tsentrifuge (Physical Foundations of Isotope Separation in a Gas Centrifuge), Moscow: MEI, 2011.Google Scholar
- 17.Alferov, V.P., Shchurovskaya, M.V., Radaev, A.I., and Hanan, N.A., Comparative validation of Monte Carlo codes for conversion of IRT MIPhI research reactor to LEU fuel, Proc. 35th Int. Meeting on Reduced Enrichment for Research and Test Reactors RERTR-2014. Vienna, 2014, p. 12.Google Scholar