Evaluation of specific cost of obtainment of lead-208 isotope by gas centrifuges using various raw materials
Evaluations of the specific cost of producing by gas centrifuges highly enriched 208Pb isotope, which may be used as a coolant and a neutron reflector in promising fast neutron reactors, have been carried out. The methodology originally developed for column type separation elements was applied in the calculations. As raw materials, a mixture of natural lead isotopes and radiogenic lead were considered. In the latter case which the content of the target isotope is nearly 1.5 times greater than in a former one. The price limit for the cost of radiogenic lead was established, up to which lower specific cost of producing highly enriched 208Pb isotope were achieved compared to the natural isotopic mixture.
Keywords208Pb Lead Isotope Isotope Separation Specific Cost Natural Mixture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Khorasanov, G.L. and Blokhin, A.I., A Low Neutron Absorbing Coolant for Lead Fast Reactors and Accelerator Driven Systems, in Cooling Systems: Energy, Engineering, and Applications, Shanley, A.I., Ed., New York: Nova, 2011, p. 89.Google Scholar
- 2.Khorasanov, G.L., Korobeynikov, V.V., Ivanov, A.P., and Blokhin, A.I., Minimization of an Initial Fast Reactor Uranium-Plutonium Load by Using Enriched Lead-208 as a Coolant, Nucl. Eng. Des., 2009, no. 239, p. 1703.Google Scholar
- 3.Apse, V.A., Kulikov, G.G., Shmelev, A.N., and Sirotkin, A.M., Possibility of Improvement of Neutron-Physical and Thermal-Hydraulic Parameters of Energetic and Fast Reactors with the Use of Radiogenic Lead as the Heat Transfer Medium, Yad. Fiz. Inzh., 2010, vol. 1, no. 5, p. 387.Google Scholar
- 5.Babichev, A.P., Gorshunov, N.M., Dolgolenko, D.A., et al., Electron Cyclotron Resonance: Source of Plasma for Isotope Separation by the Ion Cyclotron Resonance Method, Prikl. Fiz., 2001, no. 3, p. 41.Google Scholar
- 6.Borisevich, V.D., Borman, V.D., Sulaberidze, G.A., et al., Fizicheskie osnovy razdeleniya izotopov v gazovoi tsentrifuge (Physical Foundations of Isotope Separation in a Gas Centrifuge), Borman, V.D., Ed., Moscow: Mos. Energ. Inst., 2011.Google Scholar
- 9.Cohen, K., The Theory of Isotope Separation as Applied to the Large Scale Production of 235 U, New York: McGraw-Hill, 1951.Google Scholar
- 10.Sulaberidze, G.A., Palkin, V.A., Borisevich, V.D., et al., Teoriya kaskadov dlya razdeleniya binarnykh i mnogokomponentnykh izotopnykh smesei (Cascade Theory for Separation of Binary and Multicomponent Isotope Mixtures), Borman, V.D., Ed., Moscow: MIFI, 2011.Google Scholar
- 11.Tetramethyl Lead, The Hazardous Substances Data Bank (HSDB), Bethesda, Md.: USA National Library of Medicine, 1989.Google Scholar
- 13.Kaminskii, V.A., Sulaberidze, G.A., Tubin, A.A., and Chuzhinov, V.A., Multiparameter Optimization of Isotope Separation, Inzh.-Fiz. Zh., 1982, vol. 42, no. 4, p. 608.Google Scholar
- 15.Sinev, N.M., Ekonomika yadernoi energetiki (Economics of Nuclear Power), Moscow: Energoatomizdat, 1987.Google Scholar
- 18.Bortnyanskii, A.L., Demidov, V.L., Motovilov, S.A., et al., Experimental Laser Complex for Lead Isotope Separation by Selective Photochemical Reactions, X Mezhd. konf. “Fiziko-khimicheskie protsessy pri selektsii atomov i molekul” (X Int. Conf. on Physical and Chemical Processes in the Selection of Atoms and Molecules), Moscow, 2005, p. 76.Google Scholar
- 19.Andrienko, O.S., Afanas’ev, V.G., Egorov, N.B., et al., Lead Metal Production from Tetramethyllead, Perspektiv. Mater., 2010, no. 8, p. 199.Google Scholar