Development of mixture composition maldistribution in a distillation column with structured packing
- First Online:
- 82 Downloads
The distribution of the composition of a mixture of Freons R-114 and R-21 over the cross section of a distillation column filled with structured packing is experimentally studied. Results on the efficiency of Freon mixture separation, the pressure drop in the packing, and the distribution of the local concentration of the low-boiling component throughout the cross section and height of the structured packing are presented. The vapor phase load factor was varied over a wide range up to hydraulic flooding. According to the experimental results, the large-scale maldistribution of the mixture composition occurs inside the packing over the column cross section, even though the overall separation performance of the column is excellent. Maldistribution is observed throughout the total height of the column. The location of the large zones of maldistribution significantly depends on the liquid and vapor flow rates.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Olujic, Z., van Baak, R., and Haaring, J., Liquid Distribution Behaviour of Conventional and High Capacity Structured Packings, Distillation and Absorption 2006, Sorensen, E., Ed., Rugby: Institution of Chemical Engineers, 2006, p. 252.Google Scholar
- 3.Pavlenko, A., Pecherkin, N., Chekhovich, V., et al., Large Industrial-Scale Model of Structured Packing Distillation Column, J. Eng. Thermophysics, 2005, vol. 13, no. 1, p. 1.Google Scholar
- 4.Pavlenko, A.N., Pecherkin, N.I., Chekhovich, V.Yu., et al., Separation of Mixtures and Distribution of a Liquid on a Structured Packing in a Large-Scale Model of a Distillation Column, Teor. Osn. Khim. Tekhnol., 2006, vol. 40, no. 4, p. 355 [Theor. Found. Chem. Eng. (Engl. Transl.), vol. 40, no. 4, p. 329].Google Scholar
- 6.Shaibal, R., Kemoun, A., Al-Dahhan, M.H., et al., Countercurrent Flow Distribution in Structure Packing via Computed Tomography, Chem. Eng. Process., 2004, vol. 44, p. 59.Google Scholar
- 7.Serov, A.F., Pavlenko, A.N., Pecherkin N.I., et al., Bubble Flow Rate Meter for the Study of Jet-Droplet Flows in Mass-Exchange Apparatuses, Prib. Tekh. Eksp., 1998, no. 5, p. 145 [Instrum. Exp. Tech. (Engl. Transl.), no. 5, p. 727].Google Scholar
- 8.Fogel’son, I.B., Tranzistornye termodatchiki (Transistor Thermodes), Moscow: Sovetskoe Radio, 1972.Google Scholar
- 10.Schpigel, L. and Meier, W., Performance Characteristics of Various Types of MELLAPAK Packings (Productivity, Pressure Differential, and Deficiency), Khim. Neft. Mashinostr., 1994, no. 3, p. 16 [Chem. Petrol. Eng. (Engl. Transl.), nos. 3–4, p. 118].Google Scholar