Small impact craters in the polar regions of the Moon: Peculiarities of morphometric characteristics
- 97 Downloads
The paper describes a computer-aided algorithm for determining the morphometric parameters of simple (bowl-shaped) impact craters by digital terrain models (DTMs). The original algorithm was tested on the mass morphometric measurements of small impact craters (from 100 m to 1 km in diameter) on several highlands of the Moon including the polar regions. Analysis of the results showed that the craters in the polar regions differ from those on the other highlands; in particular, fresh craters are systematically less deep. Moreover, near the poles, a typical shape of the inner part of the craters is somewhat closer to a bowl, while it is more conical on the typical highlands. These peculiarities may be connected with low temperatures and the presence of volatiles in the near-surface layer in the polar regions of the Moon.
KeywordsMoon near-pole regions small impact craters computer-aided morphometric measurements DTM GIS Luna-Glob
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Banks, M.E., Byrne, S., Galla, K., McEwen, A.S., Bray, V.J., Dundas, C.M., Fishbaugh, K.E., Herkenhoff, K.E., and Murray, B.C., Crater population and resurfacing of the Martian north polar layered deposits, J. Geophys. Res., 2010, vol. 115, no. E8.Google Scholar
- ESRI. ArcGIS for Desktop. http://www.esri.com/soft-ware/arcgis/arcgis-for-desktop. Assessed 19.03.2015.Google Scholar
- Mitrofanov, I.G., Sanin, A.B., Boynton, W.V., Chin, G., Garvin, J.B., Golovin, D., Evans, L.G., Harshman, K., Kozyrev, A.S., Litvak, M.L., Malakhov, A., Mazarico, E., McClanahan, T., Milikh, G., Mokrousov, M., Nandikotkur, G., Neumann, G.A., Nuzhdin, I., Sagdeev, R., Shevchenko, V., Shvetsov, V., Smith, D.E., Starr, R., Tretyakov, V.I., Trombka, J., Usikov, D., Varenikov, A., Vostrukhin, A., and Zuber, M.T., Hydro-gen mapping of the lunar south pole using the LRO neutron detector experiment LEND, Science, 2010, vol. 330, no. 6003, pp. 483–486.CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- PDS Geosciences Node Washington University in St. Louis. http://pds-geosciences.wustl.edu/. Assessed 03.03.2015.Google Scholar
- PDS RDR Archive. LROC.SESE.ASU.EDU: Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera. http:// wms.lroc.asu.edu/lroc/rdr_product_select. Assessed 03.03.2015.Google Scholar
- Tran, T., Rosiek, M.R., Beyer, R.A., Mattson, S., Howing-ton-Kraus, E., Robinson, M.S., Archinal, B.A., Edmundson, K., Harbour, D., and Anderson, E., and the LROC Sci. Team, Generating digital terrain models using LROC NAC images, Proc. 38th Int. Soc. For Pho-togrammetry and Remote Sensing ASPRS/CaGI, 2010.Google Scholar