Experimental reconstruction of Lomonosov’s discovery of Venus’s atmosphere with antique refractors during the 2012 transit of Venus
In 1761, the Russian polymath Mikhail Vasilievich Lomonosov (1711–1765) discovered the atmosphere of Venus during its transit over the Sun’s disc. In this paper we report on experimental reenactments of Lomonosov’s discovery with antique refractors during the transit of Venus June 5–6, 2012. We conclude that Lomonosov’s telescope was fully adequate to the task of detecting the arc of light around Venus off the Sun’s disc during ingress or egress provided proper experimental techniques as described by Lomonosov in his 1761 report are employed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chenakal, V.L. and Sharonov, V.V., Commentaries to article #9, in Polnoe sobranie sochinenii M.V. Lomonosova (Complete Works of M.V. Lomonosov), Vavilov, S. and Kravets, T., Eds., Moscow-Leningrad: Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1955, vol. 4, pp. 767–773.Google Scholar
- Koukarine, A., Nesterenko, I., Petrunin, Yu., and Shiltsev, V., Experimental reconstruction of Lomonosov’s discovery of Venus’s atmosphere with antique refractors during the 2012 transit of Venus. http://arxiv.org/abs/1208.5286
- Lomonosov, M.V., Yavlenie Venery na Solntse, nablyudennoe v Sankt-peterburgskoi Imperatorskoi Akademii nauk maiya 26 dnya 1761 goda (The Appearance of Venus on the Sun, Observed at the St. Petersburg Imperial Academy of Sciences on May 26, 1761), St. Petersburg: Tip. Akad. Nauk, 1761.Google Scholar
- Lomonosow, M.V., Erscheinung der Venus vor der Sonne beobachtet bey der Kayserlichen Academie der Wissenschafften in St. Petersburg, den 26 May 1761, St. Petersburg: Tip. Akad. Nauk, 1761.Google Scholar
- Sharonov, V.V., Determination of the horizontal diffraction in the atmosphere of Venus from the observations of Lomonosov’s phenomenon, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1952, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 351–353.Google Scholar
- Sharonov, V.V., On priority of M.V. Lomonosov in the discovery of the atmosphere of Venus, Nauch. Byull. Leningrad. Ord. Lenina Gos. Univ. im. A.A. Zhdanova, 1955, vol. 13, pp. 12–15.Google Scholar
- Shiltsev, V., Lomonosov’s Discovery of Venus Atmosphere: English Translation of the Original Publication and Commentaries, 2012. http://arxiv.org/abs/1206.3489