The material of the interstellar dust and the surface of asteroids: A comparison of the spectral properties in the 0.3–1.1-μm range
From the data on bright stars of different spectral and luminosity classes from the 13-color photometry catalog, the selective extinction of light by the interstellar dust has been studied. The stars from the 1000-pc vicinity of the Sun were investigated. In the optical spectral range, the interstellar extinction curves show systematic deviations from the “λ−1” law, which allows one to sort them into three types. The observed curves of the interstellar dust extinction were compared with the theoretical curves calculated from the reflectance spectra of the asteroids under the approximation of the Rayleigh particles. The calculated extinction curves for the surface material of D-type asteroids and the Tagish Lake carbonaceous chondrite agree rather well with the observed curves of the interstellar extinction of the first type.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bell, J.F., Davis, D.R., Hartmann, W.K., and Gaffey, M.J., Asteroids: The Big Picture, Asteroids II, Binzel, R.P., Gehrels, T., and Matthews, M.S., Eds., Tucson: Univ. Arizona Press, 1989, pp. 921–945.Google Scholar
- Grinberg, M., Mezhzvezdnaya pyl’ (Interstellar Dust), Moscow: Mir, 1970.Google Scholar
- Kulikovskii, P.G., Zvezdnaya astronomiya (Stellar Astronomy), Moscow: Nauka, 1978.Google Scholar
- Lang, K.R., Astrophysical Formulae, Heidelberg: Springer, 1974, part 1.Google Scholar
- Li, A. and Greenberg, J.M., In Dust We Trust: An Overview of Observations and Theories of Interstellar Dust, Solid State Astrochemistry. Proc. NATO Advanced Study Inst. Solid State Astrochem., NATO Sci. Ser. II: Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry, Pirronello, V., Krelowski, J., and Manico, G., Dordrecht: Kluwer, 2003, vol. 120.Google Scholar
- Nikonov, V.B., Photometric Systems, Standards and Catalogs, Course of Astrophysics and Stellar Astronomy, Mikhailov, A.A., Ed., Moscow: Nauka, 1973, vol. 1.Google Scholar
- Rivkin, A.S., Howell E.S., and Vilas, F., Hydrated Minerals on Asteroids: The Astronomical Record, Asteroids III, Bottke, W., Cellino, A., Paolicchi, P., and Binzel, R.P., Tucson: Univ. Arizona Press, 2003, pp. 235–253.Google Scholar