Numerical simulation of the LCROSS impact experiment
- First Online:
- 46 Downloads
This study presents the results of the numerical modeling of the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite (LCROSS) space experiment, which is scheduled for 2009 by NASA. It is demonstrated that a spacecraft with a mass of 2 tons impacting the Moon at a velocity of 2.5 km/s creates an ejecta plume with a size of more than 100 km and a mass exceeding 100 tons. The detailed characteristics of the ejecta are given and their relation to the impactor structure is investigated.
PACS numbers96.12.Wx 91.55.Ax
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dienes, J.K. and Walsh, J.M., Theory of Impact: Some General Principles and the Method of Eulerian Codes, in High-Velocity Impact Phenomena, Kinslow, R., Ed., New York: Academic, 1970, pp. 46–104.Google Scholar
- Melosh, H.J., Impact Cratering: A Geologic Process, New York: Oxford Univ. Press, 1989. Translated under the title Obrazovanie udarnykh kraterov: geologicheskii protsess, Moscow: Mir, 1994.Google Scholar
- Pierazzo, E., Artemieva, N.A., and Ivanov, B.A., Starting Conditions for Hydrothermal Systems Underneath Martian Craters: Hydrocode Modeling, GSA Spec. Pap., 2004, vol. 384, pp. 443–457.Google Scholar
- Samarskii, A.A. and Popov, Yu.G., Raznostnye metody resheniya zadach gazovoi dinamiki (Difference Methods for the Solution of Problems of Gas Dynamics), Moscow: Nauka, 1980.Google Scholar
- Shuvalov, V., Displacement of Target Material during Impact Cratering, Impact Markers in the Stratigraphic Record, Koeberl, C. and Martinez-Ruiz, F.C., Eds., ESF Impact, Berlin: Springer, 2003, pp. 121–135.Google Scholar
- Thompson, S.L. and Lauson, H.S., Improvements in the Chart D Radiation-Hydrodynamic CODE III: Revised Analytic Equations of State, Report of Sandia Nat. Lab., Albuquerque, New Mexico, 1972, no. SC-RR-71 0714.Google Scholar
- Tillotson, J.H., Metallic Equations of State for Hypervelocity Impact, General Atomic Report, 1962, GA-3216.Google Scholar
- Zharkov, V.N., Vnutrennee stroenie Zemli i planet (Internal Structure of the Earth and Planets), Moscow: Nauka, 1983.Google Scholar
- Zamyshlyaev, B.V. and Evterev, L.S., Modeli dinamicheskogo deformirovaniya i razrusheniya gruntovykh sred (Models of Dynamic Deformation and Destruction of Grounds), Moscow: Nauka, 1990.Google Scholar