Observational time series of the total sunspot area A in the visible solar hemisphere are analyzed. A technique that allows the instability of the scale of these series to be found and corrected has been developed. An internally homogeneous series of the index A on the Greenwich scale can be obtained from 1875 to the present. A method for the approximate calculation of the yearly mean A from the Wolf sunspot numbers known since 1700 is suggested to extend this series into the past. The resulting series of the index A characterizes the solar activity variations over a period of ∼300 years. These data are used to study processes in the Solar System related to the variability of the central star.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fröhlich, C., Solar Irradiance Variations, Proc. ISCS Symp., Tatranská Lomnica, Slovakia, 2003, ESA-SP, 2003, vol. 535, pp. 183–193.Google Scholar
- Kononovich, E.V., Shefov, N.N., and Khramova, M.N., Approximation of Relationships Between Solar Activity Indices: Sunspot Wolf Numbers and Radio Emission Flux at a 10.7-cm Wavelength, Geomagn. Aeron., 2002, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 453–454 [Geomagn. Aeron. (Engl. Transl.), vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 430–431].Google Scholar
- Kuklin, G.V., On Relation Between Wolf Numbers and Radio Emission Flux at 2800 MHz Frequency, Soln. Dannye, 1984, no. 1, pp. 87–95.Google Scholar
- Nagovitsyn, Yu.A., A Version of the Series of Annual Mean Total Spot Areas in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres in 1823–1874, Soln. Dannye, 1989, no. 8, pp. 86–91.Google Scholar
- Nagovitsyn, Yu.A., A Series of the Index of Total Solar Spot Area in the Greenwich System in 1821–1989, Soln. Dannye. Stat’i Soobshch. 1996–1995, 1996, pp. 38–48.Google Scholar
- Vitinskii, Yu.I., On Variations in the Characteristics of Correlation between Relative Numbers and Total Area of Sun Spots and the Phase of an 11-Year Solar Activity Cycle, Soln. Dannye, 1980, no. 9, pp. 102–106.Google Scholar
- Vitinskii, Yu.I., Kopetskii, M., and Kuklin, G.V., Statistika pyatnoobrazovatel’noi deyatel’nosti Solntsa (Statistics of Spot Forming Activity on the Sun), Moscow: Nauka, 1986.Google Scholar
- Waldmeier, M., Ergebnisse Und Probleme Der Sonnenforschung, Leipzig, 1955.Google Scholar