Sorption of humic substances on a weakly basic anion-exchange resin: Relationship with the adsorbate structure
Adsorption of a broad range of humic substances (HS) of different origins and fractional compositions on a macroporous weakly basic anion-exchange resin is studied. It is found that the nature of the HS has a substantial effect on both the efficiency of sorption and the mechanism of interaction with the adsorbent. The dependence of the determined thermodynamic parameters of sorption on the HS origin, composition, and structure is shown for a broad range of HS. It is concluded that the results can be used to predict the sorption properties of weakly basic anion-exchange resins with respect to HS of known origin and structural group composition.
Keywordshumic substances sorption natural polyelectrolytes structural group composition anionexchange resins
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. S. Orlov, Humic Acids and the General Theory of Humification (Mosk. Gos. Univ., Moscow, 1990) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 2.V. F. Selemenev, O. B. Rudakov, G. V. Slavinskaya, and N. V. Drozdova, Food Production Pigments (Melanoidins) (DeLi Print, Moscow, 2008) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 3.F. J. Stevenson, Humus Chemistry, Genesis, Composition, Reactions (Wiley, New York, 1994).Google Scholar
- 12.Biopolymers, Lignin, Humic Substances and Coal, Ed. by M. Hofrichter and A. Steinbüchel (Wiley-VCH, 2001).Google Scholar
- 14.D. V. Kovalevskii, A. B. Permin, I. V. Perminova, et al., Moscow Univ. Chem. Bull. 41, 39 (2000).Google Scholar
- 16.V. F. Selemenev, G. V. Slavinskaya, V. Yu. Khokhlov, V. A. Ivanov, V. I. Gorshkov, and V. D. Timofeevskaya, Practical Guide on Ion Exchange (Voron. Gos. Univ., Voronezh, 2004) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 17.GOST (State Standard) No. 10898.2-74, Ion-Exchange Resins. Determination of Bulk Density (1985), p. 2.Google Scholar
- 18.GOST (State Standard) No. 10898.1-84, Ion-Exchange Resins. Determination of Moisture Content (1985), p. 6.Google Scholar
- 19.A. D. Smirnov, Sorption in Water Purification (Khimiya, Leningrad, 1982) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 26.D. A. Pankratov, E. M. Borisova, and A. B. Volikov, Vodoochistka, No. 1, 27 (2015).Google Scholar