Production of Gadolinium Iron Garnet by Anion Resin Exchange Precipitation
A new method to synthesize nanosized powders of gadolinium iron garnet was proposed, in which the precipitant is a strong base anion-exchange resin. The effect of the type of the resin (A400 or AV-17-8), the type of its counterion (OH or CO3), and the temperature and duration of the process on the stoichiometry of the formed product and its yield was studied. The time–temperature parameters of gadolinium iron garnet crystallization were determined. The obtained products were investigated by X-ray powder diffraction analysis, thermal analysis, IR spectroscopy, and electron microscopy. Procedures were developed to produce precursors of stoichiometric composition, which, after annealing at 1000°C, form pure phase Gd3Fe5O12 with a particle size of 20–40 nm according to transmission electron microscopy.
Keywords:nanopowders anion-exchange resin synthesis ferrite
This work was performed using equipment of the Centers for Shared Use of Scientific Equipment at the Institute of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Krasnoyarsk, Russia, and the Siberian Federal University, Krasnoyarsk, Russia.
- 1.G. I. Zhuravlev, Chemistry and Technology of Ferrites (Khimiya, Leningrad, 1970) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 3.A. A. Samokhvalov, Magnetic Rare-Earth Metal Semiconductors (Nauka, Leningrad, 1977) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 4.E. J. J. Mallmann, A. S. B. Sombra, J. C. Goes, et al., Solid State Phenom. 202, 65 (2013). https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/SSP.202.65 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.R. H. Britt, Materials for Room Temperature Magnetic Refrigeration (Tech. Univ. Denmark, Roskilde, Denmark, 2010).Google Scholar
- 10.F. N. Shafiee, R. S. Azis, I. Ismail, et al., Solid State Phenom. 268, 287 (2016). https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/SSP.268.287 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.P. P. Fedorov, V. A. Maslov, V. A. Usachev, et al., Vestn. Mos. Gos. Tekh. Univ., 28 (2012).Google Scholar
- 18.S. V. Saikova, G. L. Pashkov, and M. V. Panteleeva, Reactive Ion-Exchange Processes of Recovery of Nonferrous Metals and Synthesis of Dispersed Materials: A Monograph (Sib. Fed. Univ., Krasnoyarsk, 2018) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 19.A. I. Vulikh, Ion-Exchange Synthesis (Khimiya, Moscow, 1973) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 21.S. A. Shapiro, Analytical Chemistry (Vysshaya shkola, Moscow, 1973) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 23.G. L. Pashkov, S. V. Saikova, E. V. Linok, et al., Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Khim. Khim. Tekhnol., Ser. Khim., No. 11, 45 (2015).Google Scholar
- 24.G. L. Pashkov, S. V. Saikova, M. V. Panteleeva, et al., Theor. Found. Chem. Eng. 48, 671 (2014).Google Scholar