New species of pipefish (Syngnathidae) from the South China Sea
A new species, Festucalex armillatus sp. n., is described from the littoral zone of Hainan Island (China). The species differs from other species of the genus in a combination of the following characters: trunk rings 16–17 + 31–32, two prepectoral ridges present, lateral trunk ridge terminated on the third or fourth caudal ring, snout comparatively short and very deep, and a characteristic pattern composed of four wide dark bands on the head and numerous narrow transversal dark bands on a light background of the trunk.
KeywordsSyngnathidae Festucalex new species Hainan Island
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allen, G.R. and Erdmann, M.V., Festucalex rufus, a new species of pipefish (Syngnathidae) from Milne Bay Province, Papua New Guinea, Aquat. Int. J. Ichthyol., 2015, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 47–51.Google Scholar
- Dawson, C.E., Synopsis of syngnathine pipefishes usually referred to the genus Ichthyocampus Kaup with descriptions of new genera and species, Bull. Mar. Sci., 1977, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 595–650.Google Scholar
- Dawson, C.E., Indo-Pacific Pipefishes (Red Sea to the Americas), Mississippi: Gulf Coast Res. Lab. Ocean Springs, 1985.Google Scholar
- Eschmeyer, W.N., Catalog of Fishes: Genera, Species, References, Version 04.01.2016, 2016. http://research.calacademy.org/research/ichthyology/catalog/fishcatmain.asp.Google Scholar
- Fricke, R., Review of the pipefishes and seahorses (Teleostei: Syngnathidae) of New Caledonia, with descriptions of five new species, Stuttg. Beitr. Naturk. Ser. A, 2004, vol. 668, pp. 1–66.Google Scholar