Revision of the genus Melamphaes (Melamphaidae): 4. oligo-raker species: M. parvus Ebeling, M. janae Ebeling, M. lentiginosus sp. n., M. shcherbachevi sp. n.
Redescription of M. parvus Ebeling and M. janae Ebeling from the species group “Melamphaes typhlops” was performed. Two new species were described. M. parvus inhabits the northeastern part of the Pacific Ocean, in the area of the California Current. M. janae inhabits the tropical, mainly equatorial, waters of the Indian Ocean, as well as the central and eastern parts of the Pacific Ocean. M. lentiginosus sp. n., a new species, was described by a large series of fish from the southern part of the Atlantic Ocean. Another new species, M. shcherbachevi sp. n., was described from one specimen caught in the Indian Ocean, in the southern part of the Mozambique Channel.
KeywordsMelamphaidae revision taxonomy oligo-raker species Melamphaes parvus M. janae M. lentiginosus M. shcherbachevi
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berry, F.H. and Perkins, H.C., Survey of pelagic fishes of the California current area, Fish. Bull., 1966, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 625–682.Google Scholar
- Clarke, T.A. and Wagner, P.J., Vertical distribution and other aspects of the ecology of certain mesopelagic fishes taken near Hawaii, Fish. Bull., 1976, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 635–647.Google Scholar
- Deep-Sea Fishes of Peru, Nakaya, K., Yabe, M., Imamura, H., et al., Eds., Tokyo: Jpn. Deep-Sea Trawlers Assoc., 2009.Google Scholar
- Ebeling, A.W., Melamphaidae I. Systematics and zoogeography of the species in bathypelagic fish genus Melamphaes Günther, Dana Rep., 1962, no. 58, pp. 1–164.Google Scholar
- Fricke, R., Kulbicki, M., and Wantiez, L., Checklist of the fishes of New Caledonia, and their distribution in the Southwest Pacific Ocean (Pisces), Stuttgaster Beitr. Naturkund. A. Neue Ser. 4, 2011, pp. 341–463.Google Scholar
- Kotlyar, A.N., Beriksoobraznye ryby Mirovogo okeana (Beryciform Fishes of the World Ocean), Moscow: VNIRO, 1996.Google Scholar
- Kotlyar, A.N., Family Melamphaidae Gill 1893. Bigscales, in Annotated Checklist Fishes, Calif. Acad. Sci., 2004, no. 29, pp. 1–11.Google Scholar
- Mundy, B.C., Checklist of the fishes of the Hawaiian Archipelago, Bishop Mus. Bull. Zool., 2005, no. 6.Google Scholar
- Parin, N.V., Becker, V.E., Borodulina, O.D., et al., Mid-water fishes in the western tropic Pacific Ocean and the seas of IndoAustralian Archipelago, Tr. Inst. Okeanol. im. P.P. Shirshova, Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1977, vol. 107, pp. 68–188.Google Scholar
- Parin, N.V., Borodulina, O.D., Konovalenko, I.I., and Kotlyar, A.N. Oceanic pelagic fishes of the Southern East Pacific (composition of fauna and geographic distribution), Tr. Inst. Okeanol. im. P.P. Shirshova, Ross. Akad. Nauk, 1990, vol. 125, pp. 192–222.Google Scholar