New species of the genus Ariosoma, A. dolichopterum (Bathymyrinae), from the waters of Central Vietnam
A new species, Ariosoma dolichopterum is described from 30 specimens collected in the coastal waters of Central Vietnam. This species differs from a related species A. anago in lower total number of vertebrae (127–131), lower number of precaudal vertebrae (58–61) and preanal pores (46–50), and larger length of the pectoral fins (39–48% of head length). The distribution of adult and larval forms of this species of congrid eels (Bathymyrinae) in the South China Sea and adjacent waters of western Pacific is given.
Keywordscongrid eels Bathymyrinae Ariosoma dolichopterum new species Vietnam South China Sea
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Asano, H., Studies on the congrid eels of Japan, Bull. Misaki Mar. Biol. Inst. Kyoto Univ., 1962, no. 1, pp. 1–143.Google Scholar
- Karmovskaya, E.S., Benthopelagic bathyal [Conger] eels of families Congridae and Nettastomatidae from the Western tropical Pacific, with descriptions of ten new species, J. Ichthyol., 2004, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. S1–S32.Google Scholar
- Mochioka, N., Tabeta, O., Kakuda, Sh., and Tsukahara, H., Congrid leptocephali in the Western North and Middle Pacific II. Non-Exterilium Ariosoma-type larvae, Bull. Mar. Sci., 1991, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 606–622.Google Scholar
- Shen, S.-C., A review of congrid eels of the genus Ariosoma from Taiwan, with description of a new species, Zool. Stud., 1998, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 7–12.Google Scholar
- Smith, D.G., Family Congridae, in Fishes of the Western North Atlantic, Böhlke, E.B., Ed., New Haven, CT: Mem. Sears. Found. Mar. Res., 1989, part 9, no. 1, pp. 460–567.Google Scholar
- Smith, D.G., Congridae, in FAO Species Identification Guide for Fishery Purposes. The Living Marine Resources of the Western Central Pacific, Carpenter, K.E. and Niem, V.H.P., Eds., Rome: Food Agric. Org., 1999, vol. 3, pp. 1680–1687.Google Scholar
- Smith, D.G., Congridae, in A Checklist of the Fishes of the South China Sea, Raffles Bull. Zool., Randall, J.E. and Lim, K.K.P., Eds., 2000, no. 8, pp. 569–667.Google Scholar
- Tabeta, O. and Mochioka, N., Congridae, in An Atlas of the Early Stage Fishes in Japan, Okiyama, M., Ed., Tokyo: Tokai Univ. Press, 1988, pp. 44–49.Google Scholar