Revision of the genus Melamphaes (Melamphaidae). 3: Oligo-raker species: M. proximus sp.n., M. contradictorius sp.n., and M. succedanaus sp. n.
In the third part, the revision of oligorakered species (19 and less gill rakers on the first gill arch) of the genus Melamphaes species of the complex M. longivelis from the Indian and Pacific oceans are considered. The new species M. proximus is described from the Indian Ocean and western part of the Pacific Ocean. Still another new species M. contradictorius is described from the southwestern part of the Pacific Ocean (boundary area of Fiji and Tasman seas). The third new species, M. succedaneus is described from the eastern part of the Pacific Ocean where it inhabits waters adjoining North and South America.
KeywordsMelamphaidae revision systematics oligorakered species M. proximus M. contradictorius M. succedanius
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berry, F.H. and Perkins, H.C., Survey of pelagic fishes of the California current area, Fish. Bull., 1966, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 625–682.Google Scholar
- Borets, L.A. and Sokolovsky, A.S., Species composition of the ichthyoplankton of the Hawaiian submarine ridge and the Emperor Seamounts, Izv. Tikhookean. Nauchno-Issled. Inst. Rybn. Khoz. Okeanogr., 1978, vol. 102, pp. 43–50.Google Scholar
- Clarke, T.A. and Wagner, P.J., Vertical distribution and other aspects of the ecology of certain mesopelagic fishes taken near Hawaii, Fish. Bull. U.S., 1976, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 635–647.Google Scholar
- Ebeling, A.W., Melamphaidae. I. Systematics and zoogeography of the species in bathypelagic fish genus Melamphaes Günther, Dana Rep., 1962, no. 58, pp. 1–164.Google Scholar
- Kotlyar, A.N., Beriksoobraznye ryby Mirovogo okeana (Beryciformes of the World Ocean), Moscow: VNIRO, 1996.Google Scholar
- Kotlyar, A.N., Family Melamphaidae Gill 1893. Bigscales, in Annotated Checklist of Fishes, 2004, no. 29, pp. 1–11.Google Scholar
- Mundy, B.C., Checklist of the fishes of the Hawaiian Archipelago, Bishop Mus. Bull. Zool., 2005. no. 6.Google Scholar
- Parin, N.V., Becker, V.E., Borodulina, O.D., and Chuvasov, V.M., Deep-sea pelagic fishes of the south-eastern part of the Pacific and adjacent waters, Tr. Inst. Okeanol., Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1973, vol. 94, pp. 71–172.Google Scholar
- Parin, N.V., Becker, V.E., Borodulina, O.D., Karmovskaya, E.S., et al., Midwater fishes in the Western Tropical Pacific Ocean and the seas of Indo-Australian Archipelago, Tr. Inst. Okeanol., Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1977, vol. 107, pp. 68–188.Google Scholar
- Parr, A.E., Deepsea Berycomorphi and Percomorphi from the waters around the Bahama and Bermuda Islands (Scientific results of the third oceanographic expedition of the Pawnee 1927), Bull. Bingham Oceanogr. Coll. Yale Univ., 1933. vol. 3, art. 6, pp. 1–51.Google Scholar
- Paxton, J.R., Hoese, D.F., Allen, G.R., and Hanley, J.E., Zoological Catalogue of Australia, Vol. 7: Pisces. Petromyzontidae to Carangidae, Canberra: Austral. Gov. Publ. Serv., 1989.Google Scholar
- Smith’s Sea Fishes, Smith, M.M. and Heemstra, P.C., Eds., Johannesburg: Macmillan S. Africa, 1986.Google Scholar
- The Fishes of the Japanese Archipelago, Masuda, H., Amaoka, K., Araga, C., et al., Eds., Tokyo: Tokai Univ. Press, 1984.Google Scholar