New species of the genus Careproctus (Liparidae) from the Kara Sea and identification key for congeners of the North Atlantic and Arctic
Five new Arctic species of the genus Careproctus (Liparidae) are described from the Kara Sea. Four species are included in the species-group “C. dubius” (pupil of eye is slit-like, lower lobe of the pectoral fin longer than the upper pectoral-fin lobe, skin prickles cactus-like, large urogenital papilla present). Careproctus rosa sp.n. was collected between the archipelago Novaya Zemlya and the Yamal Peninsula (at a depth 140 m), C. uter sp.n. was found in the Novaya Zemlya Depression (206 m); C. karaensis sp.n. and C. carinatus sp.n. were collected pelagically above the eastern slope of the Novaya Zemlya Depression. The fifth species, C. mica sp.n., which is included in the subgenus Careproctula, was found at the south of the Novaya Zemlya Depression (204 m). The type specimens are stored in the Zoological Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences (Saint-Petersburg). The specimens were obviously collected in water with negative temperatures. A key for identification of 22 Careproctus species is included, for all tadpole snailfishes of the North Atlantic and the Arctic.
KeywordsCareproctus new species Arctic Kara Sea Liparidae North Atlantic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andriashev, A.P., Liparid fishes (Liparidae, Scorpaeniformes) from the Southern Ocean and adjacent waters, in Rezul’taty biologicheskikh issledovanii Sovetskikh Antarkticheskikh ekspeditsii, Tom 9: Issledovaniya fauny morei (The Results of Biological Studies of Soviet Antarctic Expeditions, Vol. 9: Studies of Marine Fauna), St. Petersburg: Zool. Inst., Ross. Akad. Nauk, 2003, vol. 53(61).Google Scholar
- Andriashev, A.P. and Chernova, N.V., New species Careproctus (Liparididae) from the 4-km depth of Porcupine Hollow (Northeastern Atlantic), Vopr. Ikhtiol., 1988, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 1023–1026.Google Scholar
- Andriashev, A.P. and Chernova, N.V., Two new species of liparid fishes (Liparidae, Scorpaeniformes) from abyssal depths of northeastern Atlantic, Vopr. Ikhtiol., 1997, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 437–443.Google Scholar
- Andriashev, A.P. and Chernova, N.V., Three new species of Liparids (Scorpaeniformes: Liparidae) from the Arctic bathyal, Tr. Zool. Inst., Ross. Akad. Nauk, 2010, vol. 314, no. 4, pp. 365–380.Google Scholar
- Burke, C.V., Revision of the fishes of the family Liparidae, Bull. U.S. Natl. Mus., 1930, no. 150.Google Scholar
- Chernova, N.V., Careproctus solidus sp.n., a new species of liparid fish (Scorpaeniformes, Liparidae) from the lower bathyal of the Polar Basin, in Land-Ocean Systems in the Siberian Arctic: Dynamics and History, Kassens, H., et al., Eds., Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1999, pp. 181–188.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chernova, N., A review of the genus Psednos (Pisces, Liparidae) with description of ten new species from the North Atlantic and Southwestern Indian Ocean, Bull. Mus. Comp. Zool., 2001, vol. 155, no. 10, pp. 477–507.Google Scholar
- Chernova, N.V., New species of Careproctus (Liparidae) from the Barents Sea and adjacent waters, Vopr. Ikhtiol., 2005a, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 689–699.Google Scholar
- Chernova, N.V., Review of Careproctus (Liparidae) of the North Atlantic and adjacent Arctic, including the generic type C. reinhardti, with rehabilitation of C. gelatinosus (Pallas) from Kamchatka, J. Ichthyol., 2005b, suppl. 1, pp. S1–S22.Google Scholar
- Chernova, N.V., New species Careproctus (Scorpaeniformes: Liparidae) from the Kara Sea with notes on spongiophylia—reproductive commensalism of fishes and sponges, Vopr. Ikhtiol., 2014, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 508–519.Google Scholar
- Goode, G.B. and Bean, T.N., Oceanic ichthyology, a treatise on the deep-sea and pelagic fishes of the world, Smithson. Contrib. Knowl., 1896, vol. 30, no. 981.Google Scholar
- Günther, A., Report on the deep-sea fishes collected by H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873–1876, in Rept. Sci. Res. Voy. H.M.S. Challenger (Challenger Reports, Zoology), 1887, vol. 22,part 57.Google Scholar