Mamulichthys ignotus gen. et sp. nov., a new actinopterygian from the Middle Permian of the southeastern East Europe Platform
A new actinopterygian genus and species of the family Discordichthyidae, Mamulichthys ignotus gen. et sp. nov., from the upper part of the Urzhumian Stage of the Middle Permian of the southeastern East Europe Platform is described. The fish has a large rounded operculum and dorsal and pectoral fin spines. The side scales are high. The abdomen has longitudinal rows of large, massive, strongly overlapping falciform scales. All dermal bones are ornamented with many hollow tubercles varying in shape and size. At present, representatives of Discordichthyidae are only known from Eastern Europe.
KeywordsActinopterygii new taxa Middle Permian European Russia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Efremov, I.A. and Vjuschkov, B.P., Katalog mestonakhozhdenii permskikh i triasovykh nazemnykh pozvonochnykh na territorii SSSR (Catalogue of Permian and Triassic Localities of Terrestrial Vertebrates of the USSR), Moscow: Nauka, 1955.Google Scholar
- Minikh, A.V., A new palaeoniscid from the Late Permian the East European Platform, Paleontol. Zh., 1990, no. 3, pp. 71–76.Google Scholar
- Minikh, A.V., New actinopterygians (order Discordichthyida, ord. nov.) from the Upper Permian of the East European Platform, in Voprosy paleontologii i stratigrafii: Novaya seriya (Questions of a Paleontology and Stratigraphy: New Series), Saratov: GOS UNTs Kolledzh, 1998, vol. 1, pp. 47–58.Google Scholar
- Minikh, A.V., Late Permian Discordichthyiformes (Osteichthyes) from European Russia, Paleontol. Zh., 2006, no. 5, pp. 90–98.Google Scholar
- Minikh, A.V. and Minikh, M.G., Ikhtiofauna permi Evropeiskoi Rossii (Permian Ichthyofauna of European Russia), Saratov: Nauka, 2009.Google Scholar
- Minikh, A.V., Minikh, M.G., Pogutsa, T.I., and Goman’kov, A.V., A taphonomic study of the Kichkass locality in Late Permian cupriferous sandstones, in Materialy po metodam tafonomicheskikh issledovanii (Materials and Methods of Taphonomic Studies), Kulev, G.V. and Ochev, V.G., Eds., Saratov: Saratov. Gos. Univ., 1992, pp. 108–120.Google Scholar
- Minikh, M.G. and Minikh, A.V., Stratigraphic significance of the Late Permian ichthyofauna of the East European stratotypic region: Fish assemblages and zonal scale, in Doklady Mezhdunarodnogo simpoziuma “Verkhnepermskie stratotipy Povolzh’ya” (28 iyulya–3 avgusta 1998 g.) (Reports of the International Symposium on the Upper Permian Stratotypes of the Volga Region, July, 28–August, 3, 1998), Moscow: GEOS, 1999, pp. 265–268.Google Scholar
- Minikh, M.G. and Minikh, A.V., Zonal scheme of the Triassic of the European Russia based on ichthyofauna, Izv. Sarat. Gos. Univ. Nov. Ser. Nauk Zem., 2006, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 63–71.Google Scholar
- Molostovskaja, I.I. and Grishanov, A.N., On the question of the boundary between the middle and upper series of the Permian based on the study of the reference section at the village of Yashkino (Orenburg Fore-Urals), Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Geol. Razved., 2008, no. 3, pp. 3–9.Google Scholar
- Molostovskaja, I.I., Minikh, A.V., Molostovskii, E.A., et al., New data on the magnetobiostratigraphic boundary of the Urzhumian and Severodvinian stages of the Permian: Upper Paleozoic of Russia: Stratigraphy and Paleogeography, in Materialy Vserossiiskoi konferentsii, posvyashchennoi pamyati prof. Vyacheslava Georgievicha Khalymbadzhi (25–27 sentyabrya 2007 g.) (Materials on All-Russia Conference Devoted to the Memory of Prof. Vyacheslav Georgievich Halymbadzhi, September 25–27, 2007), Kazan: Kazan. Gos. Univ., 2007, pp. 219–222.Google Scholar