Structure and Lattice Dynamics of RE3Al5O12 (RE = Gd–Lu, Y) Rare-Earth Garnets: Ab Initio Calculation
- 16 Downloads
Rare-earth garnets with the general formula RE3Al5O12 (RE = La–Lu, Y) are investigated in the MO LCAO approximation. The phonon spectrum of Y3Al5O12 at the Γ point is calculated. Fundamental vibrations in the structure of Y3Al5O12 are assigned based on an analysis of ab initio calculated displacement vectors. The elastic constants of the RE3Al5O12 crystals are determined. Calculations are performed in terms of the density functional theory. The need to use hybrid functionals, which take into account the contribution of the nonlocal exchange into the Hartree–Fock formalism, is shown. The description of inner shells of the rare-earth ion down to 4f inclusive by a pseudopotential (4f-in-core) is shown to ensure significant reducing the computer cost, with the description accuracy of the structure and the lattice dynamics being preserved. The CRYSTAL program, intended for ab initio calculations of periodic structures, is used.
This work was supported by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation, project no. 3.9534.2017/8.9.
- 5.A. V. Bandura, R. A. Evarestov, and Y. F. Zhukovskii, R. Soc. Chem. Adv. 5, 24115 (2015). doi 10.1039/C5RA00306GGoogle Scholar
- 8.M. D. Towler, N. L. Allan, N. M. Harrison, V. R. Sa-unders, W. C. Mackrodt, and E. Apra, Phys. Rev. B 50, 5041 (1994). doi 10.1103/PhysRevBGoogle Scholar
- 9.CRYSTAL Program. http://www.crystal.unito.it/index.php.Google Scholar
- 10.Energy-Consistent Pseudopotentials of the Stuttgart. http://www.tc.uni-koeln.de/PP/clickpse.en.html.Google Scholar
- 17.M. Kirm, A. Lushchik, Ch. Lushchik, and G. Zimmerer, in Physics and Chemistry of Luminescent Materials, Ed. by C. Ronda, L. E. Shea, and A. M. Srivastava, The Electrochemical Society Proceedings Series (Electrochem. Soc., Pennington, NJ, 2000), p. 113.Google Scholar
- 29.Jmol: An Open-Source Browser-Based HTML5 Viewer and Stand-Alone Java Viewer for Chemical Structures in 3D. http://www.jmol.org/.Google Scholar
- 32.O. Scit, E. Garskaite, and A. Kareiva, in Proceedings of the International Conference on Nanomaterials: Applications and Properties, 2012, Vol. 1, p. 01PCN14-1.Google Scholar