An Ellipsoidal Model for Small Multilayer Particles
- 8 Downloads
This paper presents an ellipsoidal model that is constructed for small layered nonspherical particles and methods for constructing “effective” multilayer ellipsoids, the light-scattering properties of which would be close to the corresponding properties of original particles. In the case of axisymmetric particles, prolate or oblate spheroids (ellipsoids of revolution) are implied. Numerical calculations of the polarizability and scattering cross sections of small layered nonspherical particles, including nonconfocal (similar) spheroids, Chebyshev particles, and pseudospheroids, are performed by different approximate and rigorous methods. Approximate approaches involve the use of an ellipsoidal model, in which the polarizability of a layered particle is determined in two ways. In the first case, the polarizability is calculated in the approximation of confocal spheroids, while, in the second case, it is sought as a linear combination of the polarizabilities of embedded spheroids proportionally to the volumes of layers. Among rigorous methods, the extended boundary conditions method and the generalized separation of variables method are applied. On the basis of a comparison of the results obtained with rigorous and approximate approaches, their drawbacks and advantages are discussed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. Bohren and D. Huffman, Absorption and Scattering of Light by Small Particles (Wiley, New York, 1983).Google Scholar
- 2.R. E. Kleinman and T. B. A. Senior, in Low and High Frequency Asymptotics, Ed. by V. K. Varadan and V. V. Varadan (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1986), p. 1.Google Scholar
- 3.M. I. Mishchenko, L. D. Travis, and A. A. Lacis, Scattering, Absorption and Emission of Light by Small Particles (Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 2002).Google Scholar
- 4.V. V. Klimov, Nanoplasmonics (Fizmatlit, Moscow, 2009; Pan Stanford, Singapore, 2011).Google Scholar
- 19.V. A. Babenko, L. G. Astafyeva, and V. N. Kuzmin, Electromagnetic Scattering by Disperse Media (Springer- Praxis, London, 2003).Google Scholar
- 21.I. R. Ciric and F. R. Cooray, in Light Scattering by Nonspherical Particles, Ed. by M. I. Mishchenko, J. W. Hovenier, and L. D. Travis (Academic, San Diego, 2000), p. 89.Google Scholar
- 28.M. I. Mishchenko, J. W. Hovenier, and L. D. Travis, Light Scattering by Nonspherical Particles (Academic, San Diego, 2000).Google Scholar