The influence of the conditions of ion exchange in CuSO4:Na2SO4 melt on the optical properties of surface layers of silicate glass
- 50 Downloads
The influence of the temperature and duration of ion exchange in BK7 silicate glass in CuSO4:Na2SO4 melt on the optical properties of the glass surface layers has been investigated. It is shown that ion exchange occurs from the melt according to the Cu2+ ↔ 2Na+ scheme. Cu2+ ions penetrate the sample to a depth of about 1 µm. Reduction of Cu2+ ions near the glass surface gives rise to the Cu+ ↔ Na+ ion exchange in the glass. Measurements of refractive index profiles in the glass sample subjected to ion exchange have revealed the formation of two waveguides in the sample: near the surface and at a depth of more than 3 µm; the second waveguide is formed by Cu+ ions. It is shown that relatively low temperatures and short durations of ion exchange lead to the formation of copper molecular clusters Cu n in glass. An increase of ion exchange temperature and duration leads to decomposition of molecular clusters with formation of Cu2+ ions.
KeywordsRefractive Index Glass Surface Molecular Cluster Waveguide Layer Refractive Index Profile
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.V. P. Afanas’ev, V. N. Vasil’ev, A. I. Ignat’ev, E. V. Kolobkova, N. V. Nikonorov, A. I. Sidorov, and V. A. Tsekhomskii, Opt. Zh. 80 (10), 69 (2013).Google Scholar
- 7.D. S. Agafonova, A. I. Sidorov, E. V. Kolobkova, A. I. Ignatiev, and N. V. Nikonorov, Proc. SPIE 9141, 91411T (2014).Google Scholar
- 9.I. Fanderlik, Optical Properties of Glass (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1983).Google Scholar
- 15.B. Moine, C. Pedrini, E. Duloisy, P. Boutinaud, C. Parent, and G. Le Flem, J. de Phys. IV 1, 289 (1991).Google Scholar
- 23.E. S. Frolov and V. E. Minaicheva, Vacuum Technique: A Handbook (Mashinostroenie, Moscow, 1985) [in Russian].Google Scholar