A study of hydroxyapatite nanocrystals by the multifrequency EPR and ENDOR spectroscopy methods
- 74 Downloads
Specimens of powders of hydroxyapatite (Ca10(PO4)6(OH)2) with average crystallite sizes in the range of 20–50 nm synthesized by the wet precipitation method have been investigated by the multifrequency (9 and 94 GHz) electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR) and electron-nuclear double resonance (ENDOR) methods. In specimens subjected to X-ray irradiation at room temperature, EPR signals that are caused by nitrogen compounds have been observed. Numerical calculations performed in terms of the density functional theory show that the observed EPR signal is caused by the occurrence of paramagnetic centers, the structure of which is NO 3 2− and which replace the positions of PO 4 3− in the hydroxyapatite structure.
KeywordsElectron Paramagnetic Resonance Hydroxyapatite Electron Paramagnetic Resonance Spectrum Electron Paramagnetic Resonance Signal Paramagnetic Center
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.V. A. Abdul’yanov, L. F. Galiullina, A. S. Galyavich, V. G. Izotov, G. V. Mamin, S. B. Orlinskii, A. A. Rodionov, M. Kh. Salakhov, N. I. Silkin, L. M. Sitdikova, R. N. Khairullin, and Yu. A. Chelyshev, Pis’ma Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 88(1), 75 (2008).Google Scholar
- 7.M. R. Gafurov, B. V. Yavkin, T. B. Biktagirov, et al., Magn. Reson. Sol. 15, 13102 (2013).Google Scholar
- 10.J. A. Weil and J. R. Bolton, Electron Paramagnetic Resonance: Elementary Theory and Practical Applications, 2nd ed. (Wiley, Hoboken, 2004).Google Scholar
- 13.P. Giannozzi, J. Phys.: Con. Matter 21, 395502 (2009).Google Scholar
- 14.M. Yashima, Y. Yonehara, and H. Fujimori, J. Phys. Chem. 115(20), 25077 (2011).Google Scholar
- 16.R. S. Eachus and M. C. R. Symons, J. Chem. Soc. Am. 790 (1968).Google Scholar
- 18.I. P. Vorona, S. S. Ishchenko, N. P. Baran, et al., Fiz. Tverd. Tela 52(11), 2211 (2010).Google Scholar
- 19.N. P. Baran, I. P. Vorona, S. S. Ishchenko, et al., Fiz. Tverd. Tela 53(9), 1791 (2011).Google Scholar
- 20.A. B. Brik, A. P. Shpak, A. P. Klimenko, et al., Miner. J. (Ukraine) 28, 20 (2006).Google Scholar
- 22.W. E. Lee and W. M. Rainforth, Ceramic Microstructures: Property Control by Processing (Chapman and Hall, 1994).Google Scholar
- 24.M. Yashima, Y. Yonehara, and H. Fujimori, J. Phys. Chem. 115, 25077 (2011).Google Scholar