Cross luminescence of BaF2 crystal: Ab initio calculation
- 111 Downloads
Using ab initio methods and taking into account the lattice relaxation and polarization caused by the occurrence of the core hole, we have studied theoretically the cross luminescence in barium fluoride crystals in terms of the embedded-cluster approach. Two schemes of modeling of the core hole have been performed—in the form of an additional point charge and in the form of the 5p state of the barium ion. Calculations have been done both by the Hartree-Fock method and by the density functional method. We have showed that the deformation of the lattice caused by the occurrence of the core hole leads to states localized on fluorine ions of the nearest environment splitting off from the valence band of the BaF2 crystal. The cross-luminescence bands at 5.7, 6.3, and 7.1 eV are caused by transitions from these localized states. We have also showed that the low-energy edge of the cross luminescence is formed by transitions from states that are localized on ions of the second coordination sphere.
KeywordsLattice Relaxation CsBr Main Maximum Core Hole Core Band
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.P. A. Rodnyi, Radiat. Meas, No. 38, 343 (2004).Google Scholar
- 4.A. V. Golovin, N. G. Zakharov, and P. A. Rodnyi, Opt. Spektrosk. 65, 176 (1988).Google Scholar
- 13.M. Kirm, A. Lushchik, Ch. Lushchik, A. I. Nepomnyashchikh, and F. Savikhin, Rad. Measur, No. 33, 515 (2001).Google Scholar
- 21.L. K. Ermakov, P. A. Rodnyi, and N. V. Starostin, Fiz. Tverd. Tela 33(9), 2542 (1991).Google Scholar
- 23.A. S. Voloshinovskii, V. B. Mikhailik, P. A. Rodnyi, S. V. Syrotyuk, A. P. Shpak, and A. N. Yares’ko, Fiz. Tverd. Tela 36(6), 1666 (1994).Google Scholar
- 25.I. F. Bikmetov, A. B. Sobolev, and Ya. A. Valbis, Fiz. Tverd. Tela 33(10), 3039 (1991).Google Scholar
- 27.M. J. Frisch, G. W. Trucks, H. B. Schlegel, et al., Gaussian Inc., Pittsburgh PA (2007).Google Scholar
- 28.A. S. Myasnikova, E. A. Radzhabov, and A. S. Mysovsky, IEEE TN 57(2), 1193 (2010).Google Scholar
- 31.A. M. Stoneham, Handbook of Interatomic Potentials (AERE Harwell, 1981).Google Scholar
- 33.A. Yu. Kuznetsov, A. B. Sobolev, A. N. Varaksin, J. Andriessen, and C. W. E. Eijk, Fiz. Tverd. Tela 45(5), 797 (2003).Google Scholar