Multiphoton generation of electron-hole pairs involving free carriers in an indirect-gap crystal
- 38 Downloads
The paper reports on a study of nonlinear absorption of high-intensity laser radiation in the case where the photon energy is less than one half of the indirect-gap width in a crystal. The deficiency in the energy needed for two-photon excitation of the electron-hole pair is made up by the kinetic energy of free electrons, which was acquired in intraband nonlinear absorption of light. The probabilities of Auger-type indirect two-photon interband transitions involving free electrons have been calculated by perturbation theory. It is shown that, for a free-carrier concentration in the conduction band n c ≳ 1015 cm−3, and the radiation intensity range of interest for the experiment, j ∼ 3–10 GW/cm2, the calculated probabilities of such transitions exceed by several orders of magnitude those of “conventional” direct and indirect (involving phonons) multiphoton transitions which can take place in the system considered.
PACS numbers42.50.Hz 78.20.-e
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. Yu. Perlin, A. V. Fedorov, and M. B. Kashevnik, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 85(4) (1983) [Sov. Phys. JETP 58 (4), 787 (1983)].Google Scholar
- 2.A. M. Danishevskiĭ, E. Yu. Perlin, and A. V. Fedorov, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 93(4), 1319 (1987) [Sov. Phys. JETP 66 (4), 747 (1987)].Google Scholar
- 4.E. Yu. Perlin, A. V. Ivanov, and R. S. Levitskiĭ, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 128(2), 411 (2005) [JETP 101 (2), 357 (2005)].Google Scholar
- 5.E. Yu. Perlin, A. V. Ivanov, and R. S. Levitskiĭ, Izv. Akad. Nauk, Ser. Fiz. 69(8), 1129 (2005).Google Scholar
- 8.V. M. Mikhaĭlov and D. I. Stasel’ko, Opt. Spektrosk. 75, 973 (1993) [Opt. Spectrosc. 75, 574 (1993)].Google Scholar
- 9.E. Yu. Perlin, A. V. Ivanov, and D. I. Saselki, in Proceedings of the International Quantum Electronics Conference IQEC/LAT 2002 (Moscow, Russia, 2002), Tech. Digest QWE2, p. 385.Google Scholar
- 10.I. B. Levinson and B. N. Levinskiĭ, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 71(1), 300 (1976) [Sov. Phys. JETP 44 (1), 156 (1976)].Google Scholar
- 11.R. J. Glauber, Grenoble University Summer School 1964 in Quantum Optics and Electronics, Ed. by C. Dewitt (Gordon and Breach, New York 1965; Mir, Moscow, 1966).Google Scholar
- 12.J. R. Klauder and E. C. G. Sudarshan, Fundamentals of Quantum Optics (Dover, New York, 1968; Mir, Moscow, 1970).Google Scholar
- 13.V. M. Buĭmistrov and V. P. Oleĭnik, in Nonlinear Optics (Nauka, Novosibirsk, 1968) [in Russian], p. 107.Google Scholar
- 14.V. A. Kovarskii and E. Yu. Perlin, Phys. Stat. Sol. B 45(1), 47 (1971).Google Scholar