Interference effects in alignment and orientation processes of atoms excited by polarized radiation
- 25 Downloads
The dynamics of the processes of alignment and orientation of atoms subjected to the action of polarized radiation has been studied theoretically in the energy range of excitation of autoionization resonances. The alignment parameters A 20 for the 4p 45p states of Kr II populated through the excitation and autoionization decay of Kr I 3d 9 np resonances depend on energy due to the interference between different resonance channels and the channel of direct photoionization. It is predicted that the orientation parameter O 10 of some Kr II 4p 45p states and the parameter of the angular distribution of photoelectrons βe1 strongly depend on energy. The absolute photoionization cross sections are calculated for the population of the Kr II 4p 45p states in the case where the energy of excitation photons corresponds to the first four 3d 9 np resonances. A good agreement between the calculated and measured photoionization cross sections proves that it is important to take into account the interference between different resonance channels in order to appreciate the dynamics of the Auger decay of Kr I 3d 9 np resonances.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. Blum, Density Matrix Theory and Its Applications (Plenum Press, New York, 1981; Mir, Moscow, 1983).Google Scholar
- 2.R. N. Zare, Angular Momentum: Understanding Spatial Aspects in Chemistry and Physics (Wiley, New York, 1988; Mir, Moscow, 1993).Google Scholar
- 6.K. W. McLaughlin, O. Yenen, D. H. Jaecks, and T. J. Gay, Phys. Rev. Lett. 88, 123 003 (2002).Google Scholar
- 7.P. O’Keeffe, S. Aloĭse, M. Meyer, and A. N. Grum-Grzhimailo, Phys. Rev. Lett. 10, 023002 (2003).Google Scholar
- 13.B. M. Lagutin, I. D. Petrov, V. L. Sukhorukov, et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 90, 073001 (2003).Google Scholar
- 23.V. P. Sachenko and V. F. Demekhin, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 49(3), 765 (1965) [Sov. Phys. JETP 22, 532 (1966)].Google Scholar
- 24.V. L. Sukhorukov, A. N. Hopersky, I. D. Petrov, et al., J. Physique 48, 1677 (1987).Google Scholar
- 25.M. Meyer, A. Marquette, A. N. Grum-Grzhimailo, et al., Phys. Rev. A 64, 022703 (2001).Google Scholar