Small heat shock proteins and adaptation of various Drosophila species to hyperthermia
- 56 Downloads
The dynamics and the level of accumulation of small heat shock proteins (sHSP group 21–27) after a heat exposure were studied in three Drosophila species differing in thermotolerance. The southern species Drosophila virilis, having the highest thermotolerance, surpassed thermosensitive D. lummei and D. melanogaster in the level of sHSPs throughout the temperature range tested. The results suggest an important role of sHSPs in the molecular mechanisms of adaptation to adverse environmental conditions, particularly to hyperthermia.
Key wordsDrosophila heat shock heat shock proteins heat shock genes thermotolerance adaptation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Margulis B.A., Guzhova I.V. 2000. Stress proteins in eukaryotic cells. Tsitologiya. 42, 323–342.Google Scholar
- 3.Ul’masov Kh.A., Karryeva B.Ch., Karaev K. 1993. Stressovye belki i adaptatsiya (Stress Proteins and Adaptation). Ashkhabad: Ylym.Google Scholar
- 7.Zatsepina O.G., Velikodvorskaia V.V., Molodtsov V.B., Garbuz D.G., Lerman D.N., Bettencourt B.R., Feder M.E., Evgenev M.B. 2001. A Drosophila melanogaster strain from sub-equatorial Africa has exceptional thermotolerance but decreased Hsp70 expression. J. Exp. Biol. 204, 1869–1881.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Garbuz D.G., Zatsepina O.G., Feder M.E., Evgen’ev M.B. 2003. Evolution of termotolerance and the heat-shock response: evidence from inter/intraspecific comparison and interspecific hybridization in the Drosophila virilis species group: 1. Thermal phenotype. J. Exp. Biol. 206, 2399–2408.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Evgenev M.B., Zatsepina O.G., Garbuz D.G., Lerman D.N., Velikodvorskaia V.V., Zelentsova E.S., Feder M.E. 2004. Evolution and arrangement of the hsp70 gene cluster in two closely related species of the virilis group of Drosophila. Chromosoma. 113, 223–232.Google Scholar
- 18.Evgenev M.B., Sheinker V.Sh., Levin A.V. 1987. Molecular mechanisms of adaptation to hyperthermia in higher organisms: 1. Heat shock protein synthesis in cultured cells and larvae of different silkworm species. Mol. Biol. 21, 484–494.Google Scholar