Fractionation of rare earth elements in the acid treatment of granitoids
The relative enrichment of authigenic clay minerals with heavy rare earth elements (HREE) in Paleoproterozoic weathering profiles on the Baltic Shield is related to the presence of strong acids in drainage water. This is confirmed by the results of laboratory experiments on the treating granitoids by sulfuric acid solutions. Solutions obtained in the experiments exhibit the prevalence of potassium over sodium, whereas the concentration of potassium and sodium in initial granitoids is nearly the same.
KeywordsSulfuric Acid Solution Atmospheric Precipitation Baltic Shield Granitoid Rock Precambrian Geology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alfimova, N.A. and Matrenichev, V.A., Continental Weathering in the Early Precambrian: Peculiarities of Mineral Transformation and Composition of Supergene Solutions, Litol. Polezn. Iskop., 2006, no. 6, pp. 518–529 [Lith. Miner. Resour. (Engl. Transl.), 2006, no. 6, pp. 503–513].Google Scholar
- Dubinin, A.V., Geokhimiya redkozemel’nykh elementov v okeane (Geochemistry of Rare Earth Elements in the Ocean), Moscow: Nauka, 2006.Google Scholar
- Felitsyn, S.B, Matrenichev, V.A., and Alfimova, N.A., Chemical Weathering in the Earth’s History and Problem of Ore Genesis, in Planeta Zemlya (Planet Earth), St. Petersburg: VSEGEI, 2008, pp. 273–277.Google Scholar
- Izrael, Yu.A., Nazarov, I.M., Pressman, A.Ya., et al., Kislotnye dozhdi (Acid Rainfalls), Leningrad: Gidrometeoizdat, 1989.Google Scholar
- Menyailov, I.A., Nikitina, L.P., and Shapar, V.N., Geokhimicheskie osobennosti eksgalyatsii BTTI (Geochemical Features of the BTTI Exhalation), Moscow: Nauka, 1980.Google Scholar
- Natochin, Yu.V., Role of Sodium Ions as Stimulator in the Evolution of Cells and Multicellular Animals, Paleontol. Zh., 2005, no. 4, pp. 19–24 [Paleontol. J. (Engl. Transl.),2005, no. 4, pp. 13–17].Google Scholar
- Ohmoto, H., The Archean Atmosphere, Hydrosphere and Biosphere, Development in Precambrian Geology, 2004, vol. 12, pp. 361–388.Google Scholar
- Rozanov, A.Yu., Astaf’eva, M.M., Vrevskii, A.B., et al., Microfossils in the Early Precambrian Continental Weathering Crusts of the Fennoscandian Shield, Otechest. Geol., 2008, no. 3, pp. 83–90.Google Scholar
- Shcherbina, V.V., Discrepancies in Geochemical Processes with the Participation of Potassium and Sodium, Geokhimiya, 1963, no. 3, pp. 229–236.Google Scholar
- Taylor, S.R. and McLennan, A.M., The Continental Crust: Its Composition and Evolution, Oxford: Blackwell, 1985.Google Scholar