Field Effect in the Linear and Nonlinear Conductivity of the Layered Quasi-One-Dimensional Semiconductor TiS3
- 4 Downloads
Field-effect transistor structures based on whiskers of layered quasi-one-dimensional semiconductor TiS3 have been fabricated. The dependences of the conductivity σ on the gate voltage Vg, as well as the current-voltage characteristics of whiskers (“source-drain”) at different Vg values, have been measured in the temperature range of 4.2-300 K. As the temperature decreases, the sensitivity of the conductivity to the gate voltage, α ≡ 1/σdσ/dVg, increases in the range from 300 to 80 K and decreases sharply below 80 K, where the nonlinear conductivity begins to depend on Vg. The results can be explained by the formation of an electronic crystal at low temperatures.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
We are grateful to S.V. Zaitsev-Zotov for valuable remarks, to A.N. Titov for synthesizing the crystals, and to V.A. Shakhunov for laser deposition of electrical contacts.
This work was supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (project no. 17-02-01343). The study of the influence of the field effect on the nonlinear conductivity was supported by the Russian Science Foundation (project no. 17-12-01519). A.V. Frolov and A.P. Orlov performed the experiment within the framework of the State task.
- 13.I. G. Gorlova, S. G. Zybtsev, and V. Ya. Pokrovskii, in Proceedings of the 16th Conference on Strongly Correlated Electronic Systems and Quantum Critical Phenomena, June 7, 2018, Troitsk, Moscow, p. 15. http://www.hppi.troitsk.ru/meetings/Workshop/work18/worksh18.htm. Google Scholar
- 14.L. V. Keldysh and Yu. V. Kopaev, Sov. Phys. Solid State 6, 2219 (1965).Google Scholar
- 20.I. G. Gorlova, A. V. Frolov, A. P. Orlov, V. A. Shakhunov, and V. Ya. Pokrovskii, in Proceedings of the 38th Workshop on Low Temperature Physics, Sept. 17-22, 2018, Moscow, Rostov-on-Don, Shepsi, p. 104. https://drive.google.com/file/d/11mBNY5oRToU25OqZK7F5DeT5VtKKS7IJ/view. Google Scholar
- 23.A. V. Frolov and Y. I. Latyshev, J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 393, 12025 (2012).Google Scholar
- 25.I. G. Gorlova, A. V. Frolov, A. P. Orlov, V. A. Shakhunov, and V. Ya. Pokrovskii, in Proceedings of the 17th Conference on Strongly Correlated Electronic Systems and Quantum Critical Phenomena, June 6, 2019, Troitsk, Moscow, p. 26. https://form.jotformeu.com/dasalam/strongcorrelation_2019. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-1-HyqgclOSLXdUTXNqZzNBbVFQaHF0RUln-RF82ekR2WFFz/view. Google Scholar
- 28.D. V. Borodin, S. V. Zaitsev-Zotov, and F. Ya. Nad’, Sov. Phys. JETP 66, 793 (1987).Google Scholar