On the Search for the Electric Dipole Moment of the Electron: P-, T-Odd Faraday Effect on a PbF Molecular Beam
- 9 Downloads
It has been proposed to measure the electric dipole moment of the electron on the basis of the observation of the P-, T-odd Faraday effect on a molecular beam intersecting a cavity using cavity-enhanced intracavity laser absorption spectroscopy. The effective electric field acting on the electric dipole moment of the electron, as well as the molecular parameter of the scalar-pseudoscalar nucleus-electron interaction, has been calculated for the ground and excited electronic states of the lead monofluoride molecule. The simulation of the experiment has shown that the proposed approach allows improving the current bounds on the electric dipole moment of the electron and the scalar-pseudoscalar nucleus-electron interaction constant by six orders of magnitude.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
We are grateful to T.A. Isaev, A.N. Petrov, and P. Rakitzis for stimulating discussions. The calculations were performed using resources of the Collective Usage Center “Modeling and Predicting of the Properties of Materials,” Petersburg Nuclear Physics Institute, National Research Center Kurchatov Institute.
This work (preparation of the manuscript, simulation of the experiment, and determination of the optimal parameters) was supported by the Russian Science Foundation (project no. 17-12-01035). The calculation of the effective electric fields for a molecule was supported by the Foundation for the Advancement of Theoretical Physics and Mathematics BASIS (project nos. 17-15-577-1 and 18-1-3-55-1) and by the Council of the President of the Russian Federation for State Support of Young Scientists and Leading Scientific Schools (project no. MK-2230.2018.2).
- 1.I. B. Khriplovich, Parity Nonconservation in Atomic Phenomena (Nauka, Moscow, 1988; CRC. Boc. Raton, FL, 1991).Google Scholar
- 7.P. G. H. Sandars, At. Phys. 4, 71 (1975).Google Scholar
- 16.N. B. Baranova, Yu. V. Bogdanov, and B. Ya. Zel’dovich, Sov. Phys. Usp. 20, 1977 (1978).Google Scholar
- 28.J. R. Almond, PhD Thesis Imperial College, London, 2017).Google Scholar
- 36.R. Bast, T. Saue, L. Visscher, and H. J. Aa. Jensen (with contributions from V. Bakken, K. G. Dyall, S. Dubillard, U. Ekstroem, E. Eliav, T. Enevoldsen, E. Fasshauer, T. Fleig, O. Fossgaard, A. S. P. Gomes, T. Helgaker, J. Henriksson, M. Ilias, Ch. R. Jacob, S. Knecht, et al.), DIRAC, A Relativistic Ab Initio Electronic Structure Program, Release DIRAC15. http://www.diracprogram.org.