Transition between a Photonic Crystal and a Metamaterial with Electric Response in Dielectric Structures
- 1 Downloads
The feasibility of dielectric structures possessing metamaterial properties owing to electric Mie resonances is theoretically demonstrated. The structures are formed by homogeneous dielectric cylinders occupying the sites of a simple hexagonal or square lattice. The (normalized cylinder radius, dielectric constant) phase diagram is constructed and demonstrates a region where the effective dielectric constant εeff of the metamaterial is close to zero. The simulation of the propagation of a Gaussian beam through a prism made of this metamaterial shows that the vanishingly small value of εeff is insensitive to the orientation of the crystal axes.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.K. Sakoda, Optical Properties of Photonic Crystals (Springer Science, Berlin, 2004), Vol. 80.Google Scholar
- 4.Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Physics and Engineering Exploration, Ed. by N. Enghata and R. Ziolkowski (Wiley-IEEE, New York, 2006).Google Scholar
- 7.P.-Y. Chen, J Soric, and A. Alù, Adv. Mater. 24, OP281 (2012).Google Scholar
- 15.S. V. Li, Y. S. Kivshar, and M. V. Rybin, ACS Photon. (2018).Google Scholar
- 19.E. L. Ivchenko, Optical Spectroscopy of Semiconductor Nanostructures (Alpha Science Int., Oxford, 2005).Google Scholar