Search for High-energy Neutrinos from GW170817 with the Baikal-GVD Neutrino Telescope
- 2 Downloads
The Advanced Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory and Advanced Virgo observatories recently discovered gravitational waves from a binary neutron star inspiral. A short gamma-ray burst that followed the merger of this binary was also recorded by Fermi gamma-ray burst monitor and International Gamma-Ray Astrophysics Laboratory, indicating particle acceleration by the source. The precise location of the event was determined by optical detections of emission following the merger. We searched for high-energy neutrinos from the merger in the TeV – 100 PeV energy range using Baikal Gigaton Volume Detector. No neutrinos directionally coincident with the source were detected within ±500 s around the merger time, as well as during a 14-day period after the gravitational wave detection. We derived 90% confidence level upper limits on the neutrino fluence from GW170817 during a ±500 s window centered on the gravitational wave trigger time, and a 14-day window following the gravitational wave signal under the assumption of an E−2 neutrino energy spectrum.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.A. Albert, M. Andre, M. Anghinolfi et al. (ANTARES Collaboration, IceCube Collaboration and the Pierre Auger Collaboration), arXiv:1710.05839 (2017).Google Scholar
- 3.K. Abe, C. Bronner, Y. Hayato et al. (The Super-Kamiokande Collaboration), arXiv:1802.04379, (2018).Google Scholar
- 7.K. Fang and B. Metzger, arXiv:1707.04263 (2017).Google Scholar
- 8.A.D. Avrorin, A.V. Avrorin, V. M. Aynutdinov et al. (Baikal Collaboration), PoS (ICRC2017)1034 (2017); https://doi.org/pos.sissa.it/301/1034/pdf..
- 11.M.G. Aartsen, R. Abbasi, Y. Abdou (IceCube Collaboration), Science 342, 1242856 (2013); arXiv:1311.5238 [astro-ph.HE].Google Scholar
- 12.I. Taboada, Talk at XXVIII International Conference on Neutrino Physics and Astrophysics, 4–9 June 2018, Heidelberg, Germany; DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.1286918; URL: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1286918.