Anisotropy of the oscillation dynamics of a breather on a trap in the electroconvective twist structure of a nematic
- 36 Downloads
The oscillation dynamics of dislocations with a dissociated nucleus in the electroconvective twist structure of a nematic liquid crystal has been studied. The initial state of the roll twist structure is unstable. One of the origins of this is the helical flows of the nematic in the neighboring rolls with the antiparallel axial velocity components. As a result, oscillating or “breathing” defects are formed, which have the properties of breathers and are described by the sine-Gordon equation. It has been demonstrated that the space-time anisotropy of the character of motion of the dislocations in opposite directions orthogonal to the roll structure takes place in such a nonstationary system.
KeywordsSoliton JETP Letter Nematic Liquid Crystal Half Period Sine Gordon Equation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. K. Vainshtein, V. M. Fridkin, and V. L. Indenbom, Modern Crystallography, Vol. 2: Structure of Crystals, Ed. by B. K. Vainshtein, A. A. Chernov, and L. A. Shuvalov (Nauka, Moscow, 1979; Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1982).Google Scholar
- 2.J. P. Hirth and J. Lothe, Theory of Dislocations (McGraw-Hill, 1968)].Google Scholar
- 3.A. M. Stoneham and J. Lothe, Theory of Defects in Solids (Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, 1975).Google Scholar
- 4.M. Kleman, Points, Lines and Walls in Liquid Crystals, Magnetic Systems and Various Ordered Media (Wiley, Chichester, 1983).Google Scholar
- 15.M. A. Shamsutdinov, I. Yu. Lomakina, V. N. Nazarov, A. T. Kharisov, and D. M. Shamsutdinov, Ferro- and Antiferromagnetodynamics: Nonlinear Oscillations, Waves, and Solitons (Nauka, Moscow, 2009) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 17.E. S. Batyrshin, Candidate’s Dissertation in Physics and Mathematics (Ufa, 2012).Google Scholar
- 18.E. S. Shikhovtseva and O. A. Ponomarev, Phys. Low-Dim. Struct. 5–6, 43 (1998).Google Scholar