Efficient generation of electron-hole pairs in a selenium p-n junction exposed to atomic hydrogen
- First Online:
It is found that the chemical energy released in the recombination of monatomic hydrogen on the surface of selenium is efficiently transferred to the electron subsystem of the crystal, which is manifested in the generation of electron-hole pairs and excitation of steady-state chemicurrent. Both the stage of adsorption and the stage of association of the hydrogen atoms on the surface contribute to the effect. The atomic hydrogen-selenium system is a very simple one and can be used as a model system in the search for semiconductors and chemical reactions suitable for direct conversion of the chemical energy into electricity.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. V. Styrov, Phys. Low-Dim. Struct. 9–10, 1 (2001).Google Scholar
- 4.V. P. Grankin, N. A. Savinkov, V. V. Styrov, and Yu. I. Tyurin, Sov. Phys. JETP 71, 125 (1990)Google Scholar
- 5.N. M. Savchenko and A. N. Gorban’, Sov. Phys. Semicond. 10, 39 (1976).Google Scholar
- 7.S. Z. Roginskii, in Electronic Phenomena in Adsorption and Catalysis on Semiconductors, Ed. by F. F. Vol’kenshtein (Mir, Moscow, 1969), p. 317 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 8.A. F. Gorbachev, V. V. Styrov, V. M. Tolmachev, and Yu. I. Tyurin, J. Exp. Theor. Phys. 64, 98 (1986).Google Scholar
- 14.S. M. Ryvkin, Photoelectric Phenomena in Semiconductors (Fizmatgiz, Moscow, 1963) [in Russian]Google Scholar
- 15.V. V. Styrov and Yu. I. Tyurin, Nonequilibrium Chemoeffects on Solid Surface (Energoatomizdat, Moscow, 2003) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 16.L. D. Landau, Collection of Works (Nauka, Moscow, 1969), Vol. 1, p. 146 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 17.E. E. Nikitin, Theory of Elementary Atomic and Molecular Processes in Gases (Khimiya, Moscow, 1970; Clarendon, Oxford, 1974).Google Scholar
- 18.Yu. I. Tyurin, Poverkhnost’, Fiz. Khim. Mekh. 9, 115 (1986).Google Scholar