Towards a solution of the cosmological constant problem
- 63 Downloads
The standard model of elementary particle physics and the theory of general relativity can be extended by the introduction of a vacuum variable which is responsible for the near vanishing of the present cosmological constant (vacuum energy density). The explicit realization of this vacuum variable can be via a three-form gauge field, an aether-type velocity field, or any other field appropriate for the description of the equilibrium state corresponding to the Lorentz-invariant quantum vacuum. The extended theory has, without fine-tuning, a Minkowski-type solution of the field equations with spacetime-independent fields and provides, therefore, a possible solution of the main cosmological constant problem.
KeywordsJETP Letter Minkowski Spacetime Energy Momentum Tensor Vacuum Energy Density Elementary Particle Physic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.S. Weinberg, in Critical Dialogues in Cosmology, Ed. by N. Turok (World Sci., Singapore, 1997), p. 195; arXiv:astro-ph/9610044.Google Scholar
- 15.M. Veltman, Diagrammatica: The Path to Feynman Rules (Cambridge Univ., Cambridge, England, 1994), Appendix E.Google Scholar
- 26.There is no need, here, to dwell on the interpretation of μ0 as a chemical potential [3, 4]. Still, it may be relevant for the future development of the theory that the obtained vacuum can be viewed as a self-sustained system existing at zero external pressure, P ext = 0, and that Eq. (8b) can be read as the integrated form of the thermodynamic Gibbs-Duhem equation, −P = ε −μq, provided the identification μ = dε/dq and the pressure-equilibrium condition P = P ext = 0 hold.Google Scholar
- 30.A. M. Polyakov, private communication.Google Scholar
- 32.T. Jacobson, in Proceedings of the Conference From Quantum to Emergent Gravity: Theory and Phenomenology, PoS QG-PH, 020 (2007); arXiv:0801.1547.Google Scholar
- 35.The general term “quintessence” from  has, over the years, become associated with a fundamental scalar field and the use of the slightly different term “quinta essential“ for the vacuum field q is to avoid any possible misunderstanding.Google Scholar
- 39.As to the terminology of “main“ cosmological constant problem, we refer to the required cancellation of a huge initial contribution to the gravitating vacuum energy density which is of the order of (E ew)4 or more; see also the discussion under Eq. (3).Google Scholar