Dephasing in the semiclassical limit is system-dependent
- 36 Downloads
Dephasing in open quantum chaotic systems has been investigated in the limit of large system sizes to the Fermi wavelength ratio, L/λF 〉 1. The weak localization correction g wl to the conductance for a quantum dot coupled to (i) an external closed dot and (ii) a dephasing voltage probe is calculated in the semiclassical approximation. In addition to the universal algebraic suppression g wl ∝ (1 + τD/τϕ)−1 with the dwell time τD through the cavity and the dephasing rate τ ϕ −1 , we find an exponential suppression of weak localization by a factor of ∝ exp[−\(\tilde \tau \)/τϕ], where \(\tilde \tau \) is the system-dependent parameter. In the dephasing probe model, \(\tilde \tau \) coincides with the Ehrenfest time, \(\tilde \tau \) ∝ ln[L/λF], for both perfectly and partially transparent dot-lead couplings. In contrast, when dephasing occurs due to the coupling to an external dot, \(\tilde \tau \) ∝ ln[L/ξ] depends on the correlation length ξ of the coupling potential instead of λF.
PACS numbers03.65.Yz 05.45.Mt 73.23.-b 74.40.+k
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. D. Stone, in Physics of Nanostructures, Ed. by J. H. Davies and A. R. Long (Inst. of Physics and Physical Society, London, 1992).Google Scholar
- 2.Y. Imry, Introduction to Mesoscopic Physics (Oxford Univ. Press, New York, 1997).Google Scholar
- 3.E. Joos, H. D. Zeh, C. Kiefer, D. Giulini, J. Kupsch, and I.-O. Stamatescu, Decoherence and the Appearance of a Classical World in Quantum Theory, 2nd ed. (Springer, Berlin, 2003).Google Scholar
- 9.A. E. Hansen et al., Phys. Rev. B 64, 045327 (2001); K. Kobayashi, H. Aikawa, S. Katsumoto, and Y. Iye, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 71, 2094 (2002).Google Scholar
- 10.F. Pierre et al., Phys. Rev. B 68, 085413 (2003).Google Scholar
- 13.J. Tworzydlo et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 93, 186806 (2004).Google Scholar
- 15.Ph. Jacquod and R. S. Whitney, Phys. Rev. B 73, 195115 (2006); see in particular Sect. 5.Google Scholar
- 17.K. Richter and M. Sieber, Phys. Rev. Lett. 89, 206801 (2002); I. Adagideli, Phys. Rev. B 68, 233308 (2003); S. Heusler, S. Müller, P. Braun, and F. Haake, Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 066804 (2006).Google Scholar
- 18.S. Rahav and P. W. Brouwer, Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 196804 (2006).Google Scholar
- 21.R. S. Whitney, Phys. Rev. B 75, 235404 (2007).Google Scholar
- 23.A. Altland, P. W. Brouwer, and C. Tian, Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 036804 (2007); cond-mat/0605051v1.Google Scholar