Crystallization waves in a dusty plasma
- 71 Downloads
Crystallization waves in the dusty component of a complex plasma, which were recently observed experimentally, have been investigated numerically. The evolution of the system of charged microparticles whose interaction between each other is described by a screened Coulomb potential (Yukawa potential) has been numerically simulated using the molecular dynamics method. It has been shown that the process of the formation and propagation of a crystallization wave in such a system is fundamentally three-dimensional. Analysis of the local structure of dust particles behind the crystallization wave front indicates the coexistence of different types of the crystal lattice including the metastable phase, i.e., a nonequilibrium phase transition.
PACS numbers67.57.Lm 76.60.-k
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. N. Tsytovich, Usp. Fiz. Nauk 167, 57 (1997) [Phys. Usp. 40, 53 (1997)].Google Scholar
- 3.V. E. Fortov, A. G. Khrapak, S. A. Khrapak, et al., Usp. Fiz. Nauk 174, 495 (2004) [Phys. Usp. 47, 447 (2004)].Google Scholar
- 5.M. Horanyi et al., Rev. Geophys. 42, RG4002 (2004).Google Scholar
- 9.G. E. Morfill et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 92, 175004 (2004).Google Scholar
- 14.M. Rubin-Zuzic et al., in Proceedings of 4th International Conference on the Physics of Dusty Plasmas, ICPDP4 (Orlean, France, 2005).Google Scholar
- 16.A. V. Ivlev et al., Phys. Plasmas 12, 092104 (2005).Google Scholar
- 18.D. Samsonov et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 92, 255004 (2004).Google Scholar
- 20.A. P. Hynninen and M. Dijkstra, Phys. Rev. E 72, 051402 (2005).Google Scholar