Thermal Annealing As a Means of Controlling the Properties of the Magnetic Semiconductor CdCr2Se4
- 6 Downloads
We have demonstrated the feasibility of doping CdCr2Se4 single crystals with Group III elements (Ga, In, and Al) during annealing and identified relationships between annealing conditions, the composition of annealing mixtures, and properties of the crystals. Annealing mixture compositions have been found that ensure the possibility of preparing CdCr2Se4 single crystals with a considerably increased Curie temperature. We have performed multistep annealing of particular samples, which has made it possible to understand the role of each mixture component.
Keywords:ferromagnetic semiconductor CdCr2Se4 spinels Curie temperature magnetic moment doping annealing
Part of this work (synthesis of the spinel phase) was supported by the Russian Federation Ministry of Science and Higher Education through the state research target for the Kurnakov Institute of General and Inorganic Chemistry, Russian Academy of Sciences.
- 1.Chzhan, A.V., Protsessy peremagnichivaniya i domennaya struktura ferromagnetikov (Magnetization Switching Processes and Domain Structure of Ferromagnets), Krasnoyarsk: Nauka, 2017, pp. 29–55.Google Scholar
- 2.Bel’skii, N.K., Ochertyanova, L.I., Zhegalina, V.A., and Kalinnikov, V.T., Homogeneity range of the ferromagnetic semiconductor CdCr2Se4, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Neorg. Mater., 1984, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 762–764.Google Scholar
- 3.Minakov, A.A., Vinogradova, G.I., Golant, K.M., and Veselago, V.G., Effect of doping on exchange interactions in the magnetic semiconductor CdCr2Se4, Fiz. Tverd. Tela (Leningrad), 1977, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 2075–2077.Google Scholar
- 4.Bel’skii, N.K., Ochertyanova, L.I., and Zhegalina, V.A., Doping of cadmium dichromium tetraselenide single crystals with indium and silver via annealing, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Neorg. Mater., 1988, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 1734–1736.Google Scholar
- 5.Veselago, V.G., Vinogradova, G.I., Rudov, S.G., et al., Photoinduced rise in the magnetization of the ferromagnetic semiconductors CdCr2Se4 and HgCr2Se4 near their phase transitions, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz., 1990, vol. 97, pp. 559–565.Google Scholar
- 6.Nagaev, E.L. and Podel’shchikov, A.I., Photoinduced phase transitions of magnetic materials, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz., 1986, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 1360–1372.Google Scholar
- 7.Tarkhov, D.A., Vinogradova, G.I., Veselago, V.G., Menshchikova, T.K., Gubskaya, G.F., and Zhukov, E.G., An increase in the Curie temperature of CdCr2Se4 upon doping with gallium, Inorg. Mater., 1994, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 456–460.Google Scholar
- 8.Menshchikova, T.K., Bel’skii, N.K., Valikhanova, N.Kh., Vinogradova, G.I., Gavrilova, M.M., Gubskaya, G.F., Zhukov, E.G., Veselago, V.G., and Fedorov, V.A., Purity of starting chemicals and photoferromagnetic effect in cadmium dichromium tetraselenide, Vysokochist. Veshchestva, 1991, no. 6, pp. 36–41.Google Scholar
- 9.Golant, K.M., Makhotki, V.E., and Veselago, V.G., Evaluation of the Curie temperature of ferromagnets from the temperature dependence of their dynamic magnetic permeability, Fiz. Tverd. Tela (Leningrad), 1975, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 2279–2281.Google Scholar